Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Turkleton Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
    The switch has always been dedicated to this jbox. It's a new condo so there was just a canopy covering the hole in the ceiling before I connected the new lights.

Yeah I haven't seen anything like it at all in any of the guides I've read. Without it being attached to anything, current is always running and keeping the lights lit, regardless of the position of the switch.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 23, 2008, 08:58 PM
    OK so it has never had a switch in this box right? IF so, try this, the blk wire at the switch box is on the bottom and the orange is on the top...

This should be hot feed to your light. Have you connected the orange wire at the light to the smooth wire? So you will have orange to smooth, white to ribbed... and the blk and orange at the switch the way it is now...

Maybe for some reason the blk and ornage are hot?> don't know unless you have a meter to check that...

May 23, 2008, 09:00 PM
    I'm going to check if orange is hot

May 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
    One more thing. The blk wire from the light is going where? Is it wire nutted with all the other blk wires? It shouldn't be. Actaully a blk should feed the bottom switch screw, another blk coming off the top screw which feeds to the switch for power. Im thinking maybe the orange wire is taking the place of the blk wire. Somehow

May 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Orange is indeed hot!

Orange -> smooth, White -> ribbed

And black is just capped because lord knows what the extra black in that jbox is really for...

May 23, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Yeah where was the exrea blk in your box going too?? Was it capped with all the other blk hot wires?

Might outa take sum blk tape and run it around the ends of the orange to show that it is hott wire on both ends for future reference

Does light work now?

May 23, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr500
    one more thing. the blk wire from the light is going where? is it wire nutted with all the other blk wires? it shouldnt be. actaully a blk should feed the bottom switch screw, another blk coming off the top screw which feeds to the switch for power. Im thinking maybe the orange wire is taking the place of the blk wire. somehow
    The black is hot too, but it isn't the wire that is connected to the ON part of the switch. That's what the orange wire is, both in the switch box and at the light.

From the looks of it, the orange is taking the place of the black at the top screw feeding the switch for power.

I'm puzzled as to why there are two sets of hot wires at the light though.

May 23, 2008, 09:12 PM
    I don't know either. Was hoping one of the gurus would chime in on this...

So, the bottom screw has a hot blk going to it now? On the switch?
    We only need to get 1 hot on that switch and then the other screw will go up to the light to carry the power so that switch will work

May 23, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Yeah, the bottom screw on the switch has a hot black going into it.

On the fixture it's the orange wire that's hot and controlled by the switch.

Everything's peachy now ;)

Thanks for the help! It feels good to have a better understanding of what's going on in there.

May 23, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Yeah as we went along I got a better understanding of what u had. The damn orange threw me off. Must have used that 3 conducter wire just to confuse us.

Usually it's a blk hot to bottom screw, a blk in the top one to feed the light etc. then nutt the whites and grounds and BAM u have a switch

Glad its all good now. Whewwwwwwww :eek: :eek: :eek:

May 23, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkleton
    Yeah, the bottom screw on the switch has a hot black going into it.

On the fixture it's the orange wire that's hot and controlled by the switch.

Everything's peachy now ;)

Thanks for the help! It feels good to have a better understanding of what's going on in there.

Again might out of slap a few turns of l black tape on orange wire to show it is hott... On both ends

May 23, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Yeah definitely.

Thanks again for sticking it out mate, much appreciated :D

May 23, 2008, 09:40 PM
    NP Im at work anyway. I had the time ahahaha Have a good one!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit fails without tripping breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I was ironing the other day when the circuit went dead. When I went to the box, the circuit breaker was not tripped. But I turned it off and back on anyway. An overhead light on the circuit went on briefly and then all went dead again without tripping the breaker. When my main handy one came...

Circuit Breaker Tripping [ 1 Answers ]

We have installed a electrical box on the home that houses a 20 amp fuse w:gfi off the meter, then ran the wires to a outdoor box w: a gfi plug & a on/off switch. Seems to be wired correctly, but the 20 amp fuse keeps tripping. Thank You in Advance for any help, Michael

Outside unit is tripping the circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

My Outside AC , which is a pretty old unit( 15+) recently started tripping the circuit breaker. If I go and turn the circuit breaker back on the unit will run for about five minutes then trip the circuit breaker again. Is it time to replace the unit? My AC repair guy did tell us last summer...

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

Window mount AC tripping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a new air conditioner that is on it's own circuit. The breaker is new and rated at 15 amps. The air conditioner is supposed to use 15 amps at peak. I believe the wire to the outlet is rated at 15 amp. The air conditioner has it's own circuit breaker on the plug which has...

View more questions Search