Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonnyques Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2004, 10:41 AM
    Antenna length Sears Garage Door Opener
    Hi I have a used Sears 41A3036 opener with very bad remote range. The battery has been changed and only give you an added 5 or so feet of range when fresh. The antenna looks as if it may have been cut or broken off at some point. Its aprox 6" long. Im just wondering if anyone knows how long it should be? Could it be the remote? I really think the wire antennas the problem.
    Thanks
    jimm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2004, 01:44 PM
    6" is the correct length. I am having the same problem. It did open at about 100' and opens now only when the car is at the door and I use opener outside the window. I have two remotes and have replaced the batteries in both with no improvement.
    Would love to know why.
    ROSCOPC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2004, 07:51 AM
    I work on a Navy base in central PA and we recently installed a large radio antenna (350 to 400 MHZ frequency range). Turns out this antenna has been jamming garage door openers throughout surrounding neighborhoods. People say they have to hold the transmitter right next to the receiver to operate the door. You may have a similar situation. I understand the only solution is to change the door operator frequency with a kit from the manufacturer. The Navy is still investigating and has tempoariry shut down the radio transmitter. :)
    SjC Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2005, 10:32 AM
    Remote range
    I had a similar problem with a wireless opener - the opener has the same 6" wire for an antenna, and my brand new remotes only work within 5' of the thing. So, I took about 18" of one strand of the bell wire that came with the opener, stripped off one end of the wire, stripped the end of the opener antenna and used a wire nut to joint the two together. My openers now have about 80' of range.
    ValpoJim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 11:15 AM
    SJC, there no way your suggestion will work - or so I thought. But I was desperate, so I gave it a try. Worked like a charm! It went from only working 3 feet from the door (with the door down) to in the street and a couple of car lengths away (maybe 50-60 feet). Many thanks!!
    DaleEdward Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 09:11 PM
    I also had the problem of all my remotes, even with new batteries wouldn't work until I got within 4-6 feet. I tried this solution of extending my antenna. I had some phone wire around and used a 4 foot section. WOW! Solutions don't get much easier than this! Now all my remotes work at least 75 feet away. May be longer, but haven't tried it.
    wfturner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 02:40 PM
    I too extended the antenna and I can press my remote coming down the street a block away and the garage is opened and waiting for me.
    My old military days tells me the longer the antenna the better the reception
    Power of the transmitter is also a huge factor, but a longer antenna is a help
    arrybae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
    After my wife ended up hitting the garage door trying to get close enough to open it with the remote, my stepfather recommended that I make a small knot in the end of the antennae wire and hang a coat hanger from it with the metallic end of the wire touching the hanger. This simple fix now allows us to open the garage door from the end of our driveway. We have now secured the fix, at his recommendation, with two pieces of scotch tape. Let's hear it for the Greatest Generation!
    arrybae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
    Comment on wfturner's post
    After my wife ended up hitting the garage door trying to get close enough to open it with the remote, my stepfather recommended that I make a small knot in the end of the antennae wire and hang a coat hanger from it with the metallic end of the wire

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if and how to install a garage door opener. My problem is that there is a full attic above my detached garage and the clearance between the joists and door is only an inch. Any ideas?

Garage Door Opener Light [ 1 Answers ]

It won't go out... besides unscrewing it, how do I get it to go out? The light button isn't turning it off. Thanks.

Garage door opener light [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get the light in my garage door opener to stay on? Unit is a Sears chain drive 1/2 hp. Thanks.

Sears garage door opener spring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a garage door opener that I purchased from Sears less than 2 years ago and I took out the extra warranty.. DO the warranty usually cover the breakage of the spring on the door itself? If not is it a easy job one could do himself? Or is something a professional should do? Thanks

View more questions Search