Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mim Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Whirlpool washer leaves ring of oil
    My 2 year old Whirlpool washer leaves an oil ring in the washer tub and on the agitator. I know it's the machine leaving the oil because I cleaned the oil ring off after each of several loads of clothes and the oil ring always returned. What is my machines problem if anyone out there knows?
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 28, 2006, 09:30 PM
    There are several seals that prevent grease from lubricated parts from entering the washtub. The only place in the washer where there is actually oil is in the transmission. The transmission is actually located below the washtub, so it's not very likely to be oil. What color is this ring? Do you use liquid fabric softener in the agitator mounted dispenser? What is the model number of your washer? If lubricant of any kind is getting into the tub from below, the bottom of the agitator will be covered in it. If you wish, I can help you remove the agitator to check for this. If the bottom of the agitator is clean, then it is something coming from the wash loads.

Mar 1, 2006, 01:00 PM
    The color of the ring is a greyish brown. I don't use liquid fabric softener, but I did change to liquid laundry detergent a few months ago. Also my washer always stinks but the clothes come out smelling good, if that bit of info helps at all. The model number of my machine is LSQ9659LW1. If you think I need to remove the agitator to check for oil, let me know and I will do so. Thank you for your assistance.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Mar 1, 2006, 06:08 PM
    I don't think you need to, but you can remove it to check for grease, etc. The washer always stinks because of the liquid detergent. The reason the laundry doesn't stink is because of the perfumes in the detergent; it simply builds up in the washer. Get rid of that stuff and go back to granular. That should get rid of the odor and maybe even the line in the washtub.

Mar 2, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Thanks bunches applguy!

Mar 7, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy
    I don't think you need to, but you can remove it to check for grease, etc. The washer always stinks because of the liquid detergent. The reason the laundry doesn't stink is because of the perfumes in the detergent; it simply builds up in the washer. Get rid of that stuff and go back to granular. That should get rid of the odor and maybe even the line in the washtub.
    I've done loads of laundry with the powder detergent and the ring has not come back, nor has the bad smell:) Thanks for restoring my brite white washer tub and fresh smelling laundry room to me. Got to run. More laundry awaits!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Gas Dryer leaves clothes damp [ 2 Answers ]

Model # GGW9868KQ@ Whirlpool sensor gas dryer leaves clothes damp when using the automatic controls. What's wrong:

Whirlpool washer model lsn1000hq0 [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, New here. I have a whirlpool washer model lsn1000hq0, that will not agitate but will rinse and spin out. It tries to agitate but makes a loud noise and only goes in one direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated. schins

Whirlpool washer won't spin all the time [ 1 Answers ]

It goes through the wash cycle and won't spin.then at times it goes through the wash cycle and spins just fine.please help

Whirlpool washer [ 8 Answers ]

I just purchased a motor coupling for my washer but do not know how to install it can someone please tell me how to. Thank you.:

Whirlpool clothes washer-tub overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My whirlpool washer (about 8 years old) oerflowed last night. Apparently the water didn't automatically stop when the tub/basket was filled. We have an upstairs laundry and what a mess. Is this a simple thing to repair or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

View more questions Search