Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melina_putri Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Hard Disk Error
    Problem one:
    This afternoon, I defragment my hard disk using Contig.

After the defragmentation process finished, I restarted my computer

After that restart I get a very slow startup (about 5-10 minutes).

When I'm get into Windows I see in My Computer that my hard disk that I was defragmented disappear from the list. In Disk Management it is show as Unallocated.

Problem two:
    Before I defragment that hard disk, I get another problem on that hard disk too since two days ago.

On startup, Windows always do hard disk check for inconsistency. The bad thing is the disk check is really slow (1 percent is about 5-10 minutes,so it should end after about 14 hours) because of that I skip that hard disk check.

Question:
    Please tell me what happened to my hard disk and what should I do to restore my hard disk? (I have many important files in that hard disk).

Please help me. Thanks.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 09:47 PM
    What options do you have when you right click on the drive that has unallocated space?

Wish I could add more right now

May 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Now my hard disk detected again but,

Now I'm getting a problem when extracting a RAR files that I just downloaded on the same hard disk.

In Event Viewer, it shown some Event 7 "\Device\Harddisk1\D" has a bad block. (at the same time when extracting) and copying that file to another hard disk gave me same message too.

And my CPU usage almost 80-100% all the time.

SMART test marked that hard disk as Passed but Short DST marked my hard disk as Failed.

What should I do? (to the hard disk and to get the file).
    woyeso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by melina_putri
    Problem one:
    This afternoon, I defragment my hard disk using Contig.

After the defragmentation process finished, I restarted my computer

After that restart I get a very slow startup (about 5-10 minutes).

When I'm get into Windows I see in My Computer that my hard disk that I was defragmented disappear from the list. In Disk Management it is show as Unallocated.

Problem two:
    Before I defragment that hard disk, I get another problem on that hard disk too since two days ago.

On startup, Windows always do hard disk check for inconsistency. The bad thing is the disk check is really slow (1 percent is about 5-10 minutes,so it should end after about 14 hours) because of that I skip that hard disk check.

Question:
    Please tell me what happened to my hard disk and what should I do to restore my hard disk? (I have many important files in that hard disk).

Please help me. Thanks.
    Hello melina_putri
    Your hard disk problem seems to be operating system inherent. It is better if you repair your operating system from bootable disk.
    Wish you all the best

May 31, 2008, 06:57 AM
    My hard disk that has this problem has bad blocks, but this hard disk is not where I install my Windows.

I'm using Seagate by the way, Seatools results on SMART as Passed but Short DST result is Failed.

What should I do?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Some things to try

Windows xp chkdsk - The Details

Try right clicking on the hard drive and go to properties and then the tools tab and click on error checking to see what comes up

Jun 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
    I've used HDDScan and It shows me many Bad Blocks/Bad Sectors.

Now I'm still in the middle of backing up my data that is recoverable, but sometimes in the middle of copying appears some events in Event Viewers:
    1.Event 9 "The device , \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within timeout period"
    2.Warning Event 51 "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation" ->Harddisk1 refer to my hard disk that has bad sectors.

Btw, I used CHKDSK last week and it only show only 1 bad sectors. In reality, there should be more than 1 bad sectors even then, now I has about 173 bad sectors. It's weirder because I don't have any weak sectors but have so many bad sectors.

And The SMART Test on this hard disk is weird.

It shows attributes 187 and 189 as OK, but it should be:

Look the differences in attribute 187 and 189.

What should I do?
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Hopefully someone can add to this to assist you, hope you get it worked out
    HydroHybrid Posts: 30, Reputation: 0

Jun 1, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Next time your computer boots up and you can see the disk, make a copy of all the valuable files to a different disk or USB drive. Save your data. Then you can play with the disk check and defrag. You could even reformat it and add the files back.I know $75.00 is a lot for everyone, but a new disk will run so much faster, use less processing power. You will be happier with a new disk.

I lost my hard drive last month. I use the laptop for two businesses... lucky for me, the hard drive and files were backed up. I only lost two days of entries in Quick Books.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 11:10 PM
    I found this info from a reliable source I know, might be worth looking into

try a program called Partition Table Doctor first, sometimes your partition data (the files and parts that say what your partition is, how big,. ) is ruined, you can very easy restore them with this program

Took me about 3seconds to restore a partition this way once. Saved me about 150GB of data.

Make sure that you don't select the recover data option, but check or repair partition

Jun 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHybrid
    Next time your computer boots up and you can see the disk, make a copy of all the valuable files to a different disk or USB drive. Save your data. Then you can play with the disk check and defrag. You could even reformat it and add the files back.I know $75.00 is a lot for everyone, but a new disk will run so much faster, use less processing power. You will be happier with a new disk.

I lost my hard drive last month. I use the laptop for two businesses...lucky for me, the hard drive and files were backed up. I only lost two days of entries in Quick Books.
    Well, last week after the disk check and the defrag, my HD disappeared from My Computer,Disk Management and sometimes Device Manager. Even it is show up, it say that my HD is Unallocated and I have to make new partition.

So, I brought it to a computer technician, and he manages to make my HD appear again in My Computer and the bad blocks disappeared. Few days after that, I get error messages \Device\Harddisk1\D has a Bad Block. Then he told me to backup my data and format that HD.

Now I'm still in middle of backing up my data that is recoverable, even though sometime it gave me some warning about paging error in my HD that has Bad Blocks or CRC error (Someone tell me CRC error is because the file is in the Bad Blocks).

My previous post, it the Result of my HD scan yesterday using HDDScan. It only show 173 Bad Sectors, but SMART Value show there should be 186 Bad Sectors.

Some people tell me that Bad Blocks/Bad Sectors could be erased using some programs if it was logical problem. But some people said that I should just change my HD.

What should I do know?
    a.Getting a new HD. If I choose this option, should I use HD checking utility as precautions so there is no Bad Blocks?
    b.Using software/programs to erase my Bad Blocks. Some people tell me that these program actually just remap these Bad Blocks and not erase them, so they suggest me getting new HD instead.
    c.Format my HD. Some people told me to do this, but some people tell me that formatting will not remove Bad Blocks.
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2008, 12:26 PM
    This link tells you info about bad blocks

Bad block or faulty sector is the name given to a damaged area on a hard disk. It is a physical problem, I. e. the hard disk's magnetic media is defective
    A format just formats the usable space on the drive and will still show bad blocks after format as it is physical damage to the drive.

A low level format detects the bad blocks and formats the useable part of the hard drive and will not show bad blocks in a scan as bad blocks will not be included on the new format information.

Info currently in bad blocks may not be recoverable

Recovering Hard Disks with Bad Blocks | Hardware Secrets

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable hard disk disk not opening [ 7 Answers ]

I inserted my portable hard disk in the usb drive and before opening scanned it for viruses.after about half the scan the scanning got stuck at one point.at that instant all programs became non responsive. I then removed my portable disk immediately.then all programs became responsive. But when I...

False "Insufficient Hard Disk Space" error when downloading Drivers [ 5 Answers ]

O/S XP-SP2 updated NOTE: Other than this specific problem, the System/OS, all Peripherals and Applications are working perfectly. I recently bought a new Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision to replace my old QuickCam. When I went to install the drivers/Apps; the CD began to spin-up in the drive...

Can't see hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I have two hard disks,one of 40 GB and the other of 200 GB.On the first one I had a 10 GB primary partition and a 30 GB extended one.on the primary partition was installed windows xp.n the extended partition there were two logical drives,one of 20 Gb and the other of 10 GB.I had installed linux on...

Hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

BIOS detects the hard disk and but in hard disk configuration I did not see the cylindar and Track and Sector are there. Will send me the suggestion to repair my hard disk. Deep

Hard Disk - Bad Clusters [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I was getting physical problem in my hard disk C: drive, on scanning I got 11 bad clusters , also it was mentioned that from now onwards these bad clusters will not be used for data storage . Now I want to upgrade to WIN XP from 98 , so please tell me what should I do for that, and...

View more questions Search