Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kamalm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 03:49 AM
    My teenage boy hit his sister two times. I lost my temper and salppes him on the face. He grapped my hand and pshed me and hurt me. This incident affect me a lot and I can't talk to him normally anymore.
    j_troubadour Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

May 23, 2008, 07:41 AM
    You should probably go to some type of counseling so that you and your kids can talk openly with a moderator right there. Also. Punishing violence with violence isn't a good idea. Is this the first time he has done this?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 23, 2008, 07:55 AM
    He lost his temper and hit his sister, you lost your temper and hit him. Children learn by example. Time to talk to him and explain that you were wrong to hit him, you are the adult, you are the one who has to teach proper behavior.

Good luck.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 23, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Spanking your child is one thing. Hitting them is another. Do not strike your child in anger. EVER. It instantly teaches them "when mad, hit people". OK?

As for spanking, you can and should use corporal punishment to induce proper behavior, but it must always be done calmly, maturely, signalling for several minutes beforehand that it is coming, they caused it to come, you really really HATE having to do it, and you hope you never have to do it again. Children need to see how much it pains you to spank them. They need to know you abhor this whole thing, but they deserve it and you will always give them what they deserve.

If I were in your situation, I would actually apologize to the child for hitting him in anger and ask him to forgive you. Let him know hitting in anger will never be acceptable at ANY age, so you want him to know you are sorry.

Then tell him that if he doesn't protect his sister, there are consequences. If he personally hurts her again, the punishment will be 1) ________ 2) ____________ 3) _spanking__

Spanking isn't the same as angry hitting. "I'm going to spank you on your bottom 4 times for what you did. I can't believe you did this. You know how much this hurts me to do. Please don't make me do this again. Go to your room and wait for me. This is painful and I will be in in a minute."

After a spanking, always finish with a hug and affirmations of love and regret. Point out punishments 1)_____ and 2)_______ really need to be effective next time because 3) _spanking__ should be unnecessary... he should agree at that moment.

I only had to spank my children about 6 times each as they were growing up, and this was a very effective scene.
    igman Posts: 69, Reputation: 7

May 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
    I see a couple of issues here. First of all , I want to say sorry that you are going through this . It is difficult, I know. Obviously, it is not OK for your son to be hitting his sister. I suggest a severe punishment. Alhtough JBeaucaire is correct in consequences, I don't think spanking at this age will work. My son is 16 and when he steps out of line, the consequences are swift and severe : EVERYTHING taken away. Cell phone, iPod, TV, etc. along with privileges. No going out, talking on the phone, etc. I agree disciplining in anger is not the way to do it but even though we are parents/adults , it can be difficult. The one thing I feel strongly about is him putting his hand on you. That is a big No-No in my house.
    I have made it clear to my boys that if they ever do that they can pack their bags (after a good whoopin' !) Is dad in the picture ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teen chronic cough issue [ 2 Answers ]

I know of a 16yr old male who has had a chronic cough since nov. of 2007. I know that he smokes pot and drinks occasionaly. He has complained of fatigue, chills, upset stomach. He has not had any fever. What should I get him tested for. My concern is that he may have TB or something else that's...

Teen Sex? [ 35 Answers ]

I've been reading posts and answers from this website and realized many teens are having sex! I go to a public school in Canada and I'm in my second-last year of high school and the thought of sex at this age really scares me. It's the same with my friends, we would get creeped out if we found out...

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Teen [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of diets and exercises and she do? She is now a cheerleander and is scared about fitting into a unaform. What do you think could help.

Teen [ 1 Answers ]

How do you giv a girl the best orgasm? :confused:

View more questions Search