Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flashman2 Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Device for measuring heights, angle etc
    I have a dated dumpy level that I would like to add something to in order to measure the angle of elevation of buildings, trees and other objects. It doesn't have to be exactly perfect and doesn't need to be expensive. Any advise will be appreciated.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

May 23, 2008, 06:00 AM
    If you could mount it on something that allows you to adjust it until it shows level, then all you'd really need is a plastic protractor, a string and something like a pencil. You could set up the level so it points at the base of the thing you want to measure and it shows level. Do this by sighting down it at the objects base. At the other end from you eye, hold the pencil up until you eye (from the same spot as before) sees the top of the object at the pencil point. You might want to wrap some double stick tape around the pencil and stick it to the end of the level after you figure out where it needs to be. Then, run the string from where your eye was to the top of the pencil. Take the protractor and measure the angle between the top of the level and the string.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Measuring Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

When the specs of a fan are 52", what exactly does that represent? It appears that when I go to the store, most fan blades are anywhere from 20"-24." Any opinions out there on Lamp Plus' brand Casa Vieja? How do they rate in their price range?

Measuring big [ 9 Answers ]

Right I'm 30 weeks pregnant I went to the midwife today who did everything like normal, blood pressure etc but my belly is measuring 5weeks bigger, she asked if my due date could be wrong which I thought it was to start with! I am having a scan Monday to check on actual growth of baby as she did...

Gas/Oil Ratio Measuring [ 1 Answers ]

Is anyone aware of a past or current tool for measuring the oil ratio in gas after it has been mixed. Need to be able to tell if the currrent mix is 16:1, 24:1, 32:1, 40:1, or 50:1

Measuring cups [ 9 Answers ]

I'm British living in Poland and am unable to get the 'measuring cups' used in american recipes. Can anyone tell me roughly the size of cup used. Is it a traditional tea cup size? My scales convert from oz to grams, is there any easy way to convert for example 1 cup of sugar or flour into oz or...

View more questions Search