Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 08:18 PM
    My 16 hp vanguard engine made a terrible racket inside the engine no longer runs, why
    Mower was running fine, started making a noise inside engine, lost power, noise returned, and engine died. No longer will start, just spins. Is the engine trashed or possibly fixable?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 22, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Everything is fixable with enough time and money. Practically, as long as the block isn't cracked or otherwise damaged, the internals can be replaced. And, at least it spins and didn't seize. Whether it is cost effective to fix depends on what failed.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 04:00 AM
    You could have broken a piston rod. You could have dropped a valve, you could have sheared a flywheel key. Many possibilities here. You will have to do some investigation to see what is going on.
    Remove spark plug and see if the piston moves as you turn the engine by hand. Then do the same with the valve covers off to see if the valves are operating. Then check the flywheel key.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing starter moter on 16HP V-Twin vanguard engine [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Briggs and Stratton 16HP V-Twin OHV Vanguard Engine I am repairing. I am trying to replace the starter motor. . The bendix of the starter motor is plastic and has broken teeth and therefore does not engage with the main flywheel anymore. In order to accomplish this task I have stripped...

Vanguard V twin Hunting engine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a B&S vanguard 14hp ohv engine in my lawn mower. It has developed a problem of the engine hunting when driving and won't run unless the choke is out a little. The governor is popping up and down like a mad one, Any suggestions before it goes into the shop for an expensive repair. ...

Brigs and stratton vanguard engine 18 hp [ 1 Answers ]

My engine froze up, ran out for oil.got it Running again but it stopped abruptly.now it will not start .it turns over easily.pulled the plug and there is no compressicon.you would think that if ibroke sonthing in the engine,it wouldn't turn over. Any ideas. ...

Briggs and Stratton Vanguard OHV Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new Briggs and Stratton 8000 watt generator powered by a Vanguard 15 hp overhead valve engine.Since it came from the factory it has a popping sound from the muffler as it runs. It seems as though there is a misfire. The spark plug has been changed and the spark is in spec. Service dealers...

16-hp vanguard v-twin ovhd-valve engine [ 2 Answers ]

Could you please tell how to adjust overhead valves on this engine??

View more questions Search