Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hailey1hayden2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Voluntary Repo
    How bad would it hurt my credit if I did a voluntary Repo on my Car?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Poorly. A repo is a repo

May 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Voluntary Rep
    How poorly is poorly? 100 points? I have around a 720, I hate my vehicle! I can't offered the gas it takes to fill it up! What do I do?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Keep you car parked and take the bus. This avoids any credit issues. I do not know how many points you would lose. I would do anything possible to avoid destroying my credit

May 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
    No Buses around here
    Thank you for your advice, but in my town we don't have buses or taxi cabs. I have to drive 15 miles to work like most of the people around me. Again thank you.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 02:21 PM
    If you let the vehicle go back, you still have a repossession on your credit reports.

Granted, it may be indicated as a voluntary repo, but still a repo.

Once you give it back, the finance company will be forced to sell your vehicle at an auction, and it will be flagged as a repossessed vehicle. This will severely decrease the amount of money someone will pay for it, and since it is an auction, if the high bid is $500.00... SOLD!

OK, now, subtract $500.00 (or what ever it may sell for) from the balance you currently owe, then add late fees, reconditioning expenses, and repo or recovery expenses.

Now, you have no vehicle, and you still owe the difference between your loan balance with all other fees added, minus the proceeds from the sale at the auction. This could be a huge amount, and again, you have no vehicle but still have to pay all that money.

The lender would most likely sue you for the unpaid balance, and would most likely receive a judgment. Then, they can begin to garnish your wages at work, levy and clean out your bank accounts, or even place lien's on any property you own.

Keep paying for it, or try to sell it, but giving it back is your worst possible option.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Yes, you really don't get anywhere with a repo, it is better to sell it, even if you have to sell it for less than you owe and borrow some money to pay off the title.

As noted, lets say you owe 15000 on the car, at a repo auction you will be lucky if it sells for 5000 dollars, so you will stll owe the 10,000 plus the legal fees for repo and the auction cost. So it is likely that on a 15,000 car loan you may stlil owe 10,000 to 11,000 after it is repoed, so you will still be paying and paying for it.

I have even see a few times that after a repo, the person actually ended up oweing more money after they took the car than was owed before.

So you want to sell the car, trade it in or something, repo is not a good option
    pieceofmind Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
    I don't know I'm going through a similar situation I owe 12000 on a car worth only 4000 and it won't pass inspection after having the car for only 2years the 02 sensors made the check engine light come on and I also on medical leave of absence from work can't go back to work until I'm cleared now the car is just sitting cause it won't pass inspection right now I feel I have no option with four kids and a husband disabled the little money we get in is not enough to fix the car and make car payments the finance company want at least 90% of the car payment I can't get the monthly payments lowered and can't get it refinanced so I'm stuck in a no win situation but if anyone can offer something good let me know...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I owe on a voluntary reposession? [ 6 Answers ]

I am sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong category. I voluntarily turned in a lease vehicle in August of 2002. (Where I lived at the time, 911 had changed my address and I believe this is why I was not served properly.) They served the summons to an address I never lived at but a...

Voluntary Repo in Texas, can this impact my bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer about 9 months ago. Since that time that vehicle has been in the shop 7 times to correct an issue for which a known TSB exists. Long story short, they have been unable to fix the problem. Eventually, the vehicle became unreliable and was getting me in hot...

Received summons for voluntary repo 2 years ago. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, I received our minivan in my divorce in feb 04' along with responsibility of it, I kept aprox 1 year before the transmission went out & I had no $ to fix it and couldn't pay for it any longer, I returned it to the bank. It has been 2 yrs and last week I was served with summons to answer a...

Voluntary repossession [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a vehicle where the car was taken 30 minutes. Right after for overheating. The car was taken into the dealer several times for the same reasons. I told the dealer that I was going to return the vehicle if this happened again, which it did so I took the vehicle in and they kept it as a...

Question about a voluntary repo [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question, if a car is voluntarily repossessed, when the car is resold to someone at auction or wherever the amount I know left over is the responsibility of the person who voluntarily repo'd the vehicle, does this price include interest that was on the loan also or just the amount financed...

View more questions Search