Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srinivas pendam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Do I have to pay City of NY Resident tax since I am staying in Brooklyn, NY -11219
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am staying in Brooklyn, NY -11219 since July,2005. Do I have to pay "CITY OF NY RESIDENT TAX". Please let me know this will help me to save 3.5K towards city of NY resident tax.

I will appreciate your help.

Regards,
    Srinivas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Brooklyn is part of New York City. Residents of Brooklyn are required to pay NYC resident tax.

May 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
    One of tax consultant told me that, only Yankers city and New york city has to pay. Brookly residents does not have pay as long as if we paying New York State tax.

May 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Then this tax consultant doesn't know what he's talking about. Again Brooklyn is part of NYC. I lived in Brooklyn for a number of years and always paid my NYC tax. I'm sure your employer is withholding city tax. You ARE a resident of NYC.

May 22, 2008, 12:06 PM
    For 2007, My employer did not withhold any NY city tax. But he did it on 2006

May 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
    That doesn't mean you don't have to pay it. It just means he screwed up. According to you your address hasn't changed since 2005. There fore you are a resident of NYC.

May 22, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Hi,

SOrry to bother you... My consultant was telling since you have paid New York state tax as "6325 $" on my income, Brooklyn residents does not have to pay City of NY resident tax... Only Brooklyn resident has to pay state tax according to law.. I don't know those laws.. But that consultant to big Tax consultant and I am sure they might know all those rules and regulations and NY laws.. .

Can you advise on this one.

Regards,
    Srinivas.P
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Brooklyn is nyc, so I do not know what he is talking about

May 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
    How many times do we have to say this. Brooklyn is part of NYC. There is no exemption from NYC taxes because you paid state taxes. I haven't a clue what this guy is talking about.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 22, 2008, 03:04 PM
    I agree with Scott. I have SEVEN clients who live in Brooklyn, and they ALL paid NYC taxes.

Look in Wikipedia; it clearly says that Brooklyn is one of the boroughs of New York City.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I subject to New York City Resident Tax if on OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in New York city but living in New Jersey. I am currently on OPT. So am I subject to the NYC Resident tax? Thanks a lot for answering!

Nonresident or resident?: for city tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I have a couple of accountants who have been giving me different answers regarding how to file tax for people with duo status. Here is my situation: I have worked in NYC during Jan '06-Aug '06. I left to my country to renew my visa to H1-B, and it was "issued" on Aug 23, then started working...

State Tax for NJ resident working in NY city [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey. Last summer, I worked in NY city for 10 weeks. My employer withheld NY taxes. How do I file my state tax return? Should I have to do one each for NJ and NY? Confusius

NY City Resident Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Work in NYC, but live in Long Island (Suffolk County). Do I need to pay NY -City Resident tax? I have checked the entire forum but could not find a similar post or everyone knows the answer already? :confused: Thank you!

View more questions Search