Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    looking4truth Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Can they make me stay?
    I am in foster care In Michigan. I was put in the system when I was 17 years old. Because I was not put in care because of anything I did, I don't understand why I was put in care at an age that you are considered by law to be an adult. I am now turning 18 and I am pregnant. All I want to do is move in with my soon to be husband and father of my child but the system wants me to stay and get services. I do not want these services and I also do not want my child to be born with me in foster care and have to live with strangers like I do. If I am 18 and don't want anymore help can I just leave?
    help_ful101 Posts: 59, Reputation: 4

May 22, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Yes you can... if you ask police,or law officers theyr'e to kick u out att 18teen if they don't u have the right to leave... good luck wit your baby
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 11:24 AM
    When you are eighteen you can opt out of the system
    Having said that, the services you could receive are very valuable. You may want to see if you can still receive these services even after you move. Have you talked to your case worker about not wanting to stay? Exactly what services would they provide? They are really just trying to look out for you and give you recources.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 11:25 AM
    What state are you in?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
    In reality you should be able to receive W.I.C. which could help with some foods and formula, but there is still the other expenses like making it to the end of the month, or your renewal day. Also, diapers. The diapers expense is always there. You see they are just trying to help you to help your baby.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2008, 07:37 PM
    At 17 you can not leave the system, since you are not in most states in the US an adult till you are 18. At 18 you should be able to leave the system. In fact normaly unless yo
    U are still in school, you are automatically kicked out since the money for foster care ends at 18. It is best to speak to your forster parent about it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    What state are you in?
    She's in Michigan. It's in the original question. ;)
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    She's in Michigan. It's in the original question. ;)
    Yuppers, I noticed that right after I asked;)
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

May 22, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Dear Look - Yes, I understand you were not put in foster care because of something you did. Believe it or not, the "system" is trying to take care of you - which I know you do not agree with. If the Court is involved, you cannot leave until the Court and/or Social Services deems it is appropriate for you to leave. In most states you can remain in foster care until age 21 years. The issue is not your age, it is that the Court had jurisdiction over you when you were a child and must help establish you with services as a young adult.

The thing that worries me is this - with a new baby on the way, you may need more help than you realize. For a lot of young women - they feel it is enough that they have a boyfriend - they feel they can manage. Most times, the boyfriend has no resources, no money and is not much older than the girl. The reason they may want you to stay is to make sure that you get your high school diploma, that you get proper medical care for you and your baby, that you have an appropriate place to live, and any other services that you may need.

They may believe that since you have no experience of your own - of making your own money, having your own apartment, looking for a job and services, getting your own medical care - you may be at risk along with your baby. The fact that you have a boyfriend does not guarantee that you are going to make it on your own with your baby. He leaves and drops out of the picture and you are on your own - without any job skills, no diploma, no apartment, no way of caring for your baby.

They may know that you have no family to turn to for help for you and the baby. This may or may not be your reality - it is their job to make sure that you and the baby do not end up alone, in poverty, with no one and nothing to turn to. You may not have the skills to even get help for yourself and your baby.

If I was working with you, I would want to wait until the baby is born and perhaps 6 months to a year thereafter - 1) to make sure your baby is healthy and receives all the proper medical care, 2) to make sure that the Hospital and/or services works with you and helps you to learn to take care of your baby, 3) to make sure that you receive Medi-Cal and/or Medi-Care, 4) to make sure that you receive your high school diploma, 5) to check-out your boyfriend and if he has a place to live and how he makes his money, 6) to make sure that you receive instruction on living skills - taking the bus, opening a bank account, how to apply for food stamps, how to fill out a job application, how to get a job, etc. 7) to make sure that if you are eligible for Social Security benefits and/or other services you get them, 8) to make sure that you have a support system in place and not only your boyfriend. This is a lot of work and is to help you.

A lot of teenagers leave the system only to wind up living under a freeway pass, alone, and in poverty or in a shelter or in jail - this sounds terrible but statistics are facts. I need to protect you and your baby and offer you everything I can to make sure you make it. I would not leave you - even if you wanted to leave just because you are 18 years old.

As an 18 year old - if there is Court involvement - you can ask the Court to release you, if I was working with you, I would recommend that you stay - if the Court disagrees with me then you leave. A lot of things are a lot worse than living with strangers - the goal here is to protect and help you and your baby.

A lot of teenagers turn 18 years old and leave home - sure, they have supportive parents, they are moving on to collage to learn a trade or get a job, they have a bank account Mom and Dad set-up, they have their high school diploma, they have Grandma and Grandpa to help with money, they have an Aunt or Uncle they can move in with if something happens, they received good parenting and know how to take care of themselves when they turn 18. And sometimes these same 18 years old still need Mom and Dad to figure things out - and sometimes to help out financially.

Hang on while you can here - now it is not just about you - its about you and your baby. You want to be able to make it on your own even if you have a boyfriend. Yes, you are going to be 18, yes it means you are an adult - but no, it does not mean you know how to take care of yourself and your baby. For your baby's sake, hang on and ask for all the help you can. If your boyfriend cares for you and the baby, he will wait for you and understand the situation.

I really do feel for you and your young age, your need to be free. You will make it but make sure you have the knowledge and skills before you get out there - your baby will thank you for it. Take care darling.
    joesgirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

May 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
    ur 18 do whatever u want to do they can't stop u and their not ur boss plus they have no rights to u or ur child so just leave besides u dont have to be in foster care to get help fom the government there is a thing called wic
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Illusion is absolutely right the court might have jurisdiction over you until 21
    If they do not have reason for keeping you until 21 then you are free to leave and you can sign up for programs like WIC without foster care.
    CONFUSED_20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
    What you can do is when you turn 18 be in a program called independent adult program which you still have a case worker but you can get a check of 795.00 each month till you turn 21 years old. I know this because I've been in the system since I was 11yrs old. I'm now 20 and you just have to meet with your caseworker once a month and either go to school full time or job full time or both. It wonderful has helped me a lot. And there's a lot more they can help you with there's a program called etv and you get 5000.00 in a check if you go to college. You can live in your own apartment or house. I think you can benefit from this and your unborn child.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 10:38 AM
    The independent program is good if she decides to stay in the system but
    Seems like she wants free from their rules and out on her own.
    Check ALL options like the independent program, programs for low income, etc.
    If eligible, you might want to even check into ssd.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 16, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Not an answer but a follow up question... I thought if a ward of the state had a baby that baby would a ward too... isn't that what happened to some of the mormons in Texas?
    Crybaby9112001 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Jun 21, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by looking4truth
    I am in foster care In Michigan. I was put in the system when i was 17 years old. Because i was not put in care because of anything i did, i dont understand why i was put in care at an age that you are considered by law to be an adult. I am now turning 18 and i am pregnant. All i want to do is move in with my soon to be husband and father of my child but the system wants me to stay and get services. I do not want these services and i also do not want my child to be born with me in foster care and have to live with strangers like i do. If i am 18 and dont want anymore help can i just leave??
    YES. The first day I turned 18 I made sure I left the grouphome. But they do have a lot of programs to help you. But there was no way I was staying in a grouphome. The day you turn 18 is the day your chains are unlocked weather they like it or not.
    shallow_waterz Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Sep 18, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by looking4truth
    I am in foster care In Michigan. I was put in the system when i was 17 years old. Because i was not put in care because of anything i did, i dont understand why i was put in care at an age that you are considered by law to be an adult. I am now turning 18 and i am pregnant. All i want to do is move in with my soon to be husband and father of my child but the system wants me to stay and get services. I do not want these services and i also do not want my child to be born with me in foster care and have to live with strangers like i do. If i am 18 and dont want anymore help can i just leave??
    I have been in the systom now since I was 3 and I was pregnant at the age of 14 I know what your going though and yes you can just leave but its much harder on your own then it ever would be with all the suport that they can give you u would be better off I know I made that mistake along time ago.
    Belanger Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 04:19 AM

Do the rights change in canada like my sister is 18 I'm not so sure that she can just leave like that.. if she does they take her child..
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2008, 07:58 PM

This is an old post and the OP has not been back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What move should I make? Or should I even make one? [ 9 Answers ]

I am a high school student. I play on our girl's varsity basketball team, and I have a bit of an interest/crush on a guy from the guy's team. Our practice and game times are normally in tandem. I see him there and occaisonally in school. Recently, I admitted my interest to a friend, and she said,...

Do I stay with her or do I go? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok. I found this forum through Google and I've got to say, its amazing! :p Right, I have this problem with a girl. I go round to see her every night and she really likes me. I want to ask her out, but this other guy who is a really good friend of mine really likes her. And I feel really bad if...

Should I stay [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in this relationship with the father of my son. We are supposed to be getting married in September of next year. But I feel like there is something holding me back I need to know if he is the one

Stay with ex or go for a new one? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been dating my girlfriend know for about ten years. We have on and off again pretty much. She broke up with me because of my work schedule on weekends. I'm a Cop. Well I met this new girl through my mom which I liked . She contacted me so we started to talk but I still have a girlfriend....

Should I stay or should I go? [ 16 Answers ]

I've been married to my husband for a little over a year. We have 5 children between us. I have 1 boy and he has 4 girls. I think they're part of the reason I've stayed (I know that's never a good idea). I love my husband, but lately I'm frustrated, and completely losing interest in making my...

View more questions Search