Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cat in the hat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Giving up paternal rights and not pay child suppor
    Can I give up rights as a father after a paternity was giving and not pay child support
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Just because you give up your rights - does not mean you don't pay support.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cat in the hat
    Can i give up rights as a father after a paternity was giving and not pay child support
    Nope. You can give up your rights as to decision making, but you can't give up your financial obligations. By having intercourse you made the decision to bring a child into the world, now you must deal with the consequences.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I've moved this to the Family Law area where you will find hundreds of thread asking the same question and getting the same answer. I suggest looking through them.

State laws vary and some states do terminate parental obligations along with parental rights. But in those states, its even harder to get a TPR. The bottomline is that a TRP will generally be granted in only two instances. Either to clear the way for an adoption or because the parent represents a danger to the child. It will not be granted to allow the parent to get out of paying support.

You should have thought of the posibility of supporting a child BEFORE you decided to have sex. As I've frequently said, NO ONE should engage in sexual intercourse unless they are financiallly and emotionally ready to have a child.
    Tugboat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Geezo... what the flip is wrong with people?? Think of the poor kid for once in your life and not yourself. The kid did not ask to be born. Step up to the plate and be responsible and think about what you will inflict on this child if you DISOWN it! Raising kids is expensive. Be a man regardless of how you feel about the woman.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Just giving up your right to visit with the child is one thing, you can't just give up the obligation to support the child. It's not that easy or all the deadbeat fathers/mothers would surely sign up for that program in a heartbeat.
    CAndC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat
    Geezo...what the flip is wrong with people??? Think of the poor kid for once in your life and not yourself. The kid did not ask to be born. Step up to the plate and be responsible and think about what you will inflict on this child if you DISOWN it! Raising kids is expensive. Be a man regardless of how you feel about the woman.

I would ask the same question, what is wrong with people? This person is facing 20 years of fatherhood and child support and may not be in a position to handle it or is simply panicking and upset over the destruction of hopes and dreams that will now make way for a child. Guys generally don't ask such questions because they are concerned about the money, they are concerned about how their future has been altered.

If this was a young girl saying she was pregnant and couldn't handle it, many people would be falling over themselves to offer supportive words. This guy comments on money, but you don't know his situation, it could be that is all that he has to focus on right now, so that is what he reacts over.

Show some compassion.

The truth is simple. He will live up to his obligations simply because he has to. There are no options. The previous poster said it best, no man should have sex without being financially and emotionally ready to support a child.

To the OP, take the time to think over your situation. While you may not feel ready to support a child, you don't have this choice. You do have a choice to try be a positive father figure in the child's life and there are very few things that are as rewarding as being a parent.

Oh, and you probably want to speak to a lawyer and get real advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up paternal rights in Arkansas [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Arkansas and I have power of attorney for my father he is 62 years of age and on disability has had several small strokes and can barely walk and speech is about gone he is on a fixed income but a lady is stating he is the father of her 2 year old son, she is now requesting childsupport...

Giving up rights to a child [ 1 Answers ]

My sons father and I have been split up for about 3 years now. He hasn't given me a penny ever, not even before we split up. I just want him to give up his rights. I am a single mom and I don't really need him, but I don't want him to be involved in my sons life! He's been in and out of jail the...

Child custody, paternal rights termination [ 1 Answers ]

I need to file for sole custudy of my daughter? How can I prove that her father is unfit to be with her? What are the steps?:confused:

Paternal rights and child support [ 1 Answers ]

If you sign away your paternal rights does that abolish ALL legal obligation including child support or do you still have to pay even though the child is no longer legally yours?

Relinquish Paternal Rights & Adopt spouse's child [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my husband now for 2 years (legally married just recently). I have a 5 year old son from a previous relationship (never married). My husband wants to legally adopt my son and I know that my son's biological father has to relinquish his paternal rights. My questions are: do I...

View more questions Search