Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    w2contractor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Limit to per diem
    Hi,

I am a w-2 contractor. My primary residence and family are 60+ miles from home and I maintain an apartment at my work location where I reside for 4 days a week. Right now my company shows part of my income as non taxable per diem. I've hear but have not confirmed that this only last for a year. Is this true? I cannot find any state or federal tax laws or information on this.

Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 21, 2008, 09:09 PM
    You are getting per diem as non taxable income.
    If your expenses are more than that, then you can claim deduction for the difference under employee's business expenses. This is itemized deduction subject to 2% of AGI.
    Read itemized deductions:
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Itemized Deductions

May 21, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    You are getting per diem as non taxable income.
    If your expenses are more than that, then you can claim deduction for the difference under employee's business expenses. This is itemized deduction subject to 2% of AGI.
    Read itemized deductions:
    Your U.S. Tax Return: Itemized Deductions
    That wasn't my question. I asked if there is a one year limit.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 21, 2008, 11:16 PM
    No, there is no such limit.
    Only that non taxable per diem is accountable and you must return any excess amount received within a reasonable period.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Actually, I have to disagree with MukatA on this one.

If you receive per diem for more than one year, the IRS will hold that said per diem is NOT a non-taxable reimbursement of expenses, but rather taxable compensation, because your siatuation is no longer considered to be temporary in nature once it exceeds a year.

May 22, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Yes that's what I've heard. Its very vague, but once your there 1 year your situation is no longer temp. What isn't clear to me is whether you get taxed on any per diem you took as non taxable before. For example if my contract is extended from 1 year to 2 years is the IRS going to come back and say I owe taxes on the first years per diem?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

May 22, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by w2contractor
    Hi,

I am a w-2 contractor. My primary residence and family are 60+ miles from home and I maintain an apartment at my work location where I reside for 4 days a week. Right now my company shows part of my income as non taxable per diem. I've hear but have not confirmed that this only last for a year. Is this true? I cannot find any state or federal tax laws or information on this.

Thanks!
    Generally pe diem expenses are not taxable to the extend you have accounted to your management for the exoenditures. This ruoes applies for all years.if your expenes
    Exceed reimbursement (which may be hard to prove) you can write them of under itemized deductions
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 23, 2008, 07:24 AM
    As Delite noted, per diem properly reported under an accountable plan is generally considered non-taxable, and is VERY difficult for the IRS to properly track.

That does NOT change the IRS policy that any per diem received after one year is considered taxable income.

That said, the IRS generally does not try to recover per diem claimed in the first year, because they cannot interpret the INTENT of the first year. In other words, the payment of per diem as reimbursement for temporary expenses can safely be claimed in the first year because neither you nor the IRS know FOR SURE that the situation will not be temporary come the end of the first year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Per diem [ 1 Answers ]

I am a contract worker. My employer pays up to $35 a day for meals. So I pay this up front and they reimburse me up to $35.00. Can I claim the difference of what I actually spent on meals and what they reimbursed as per diem on my taxes? Also do I need receipts to prove this?

PEr-Diem Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, is per-diem what a L1 person gets in US, is this taxable in US or not. I heard if you stay longer than 11 months in US per-diem is taxable otherwise not. Kindly clarify. And kindly provide the calculation matrix for various taxes like federal, GA state tax, SS tax, medical etc. Thanks SD

Per Diem [ 1 Answers ]

As an employer, we pay per diem. I know I do not report it on their 1099's, but where would I claim it on our company tax return?

H1B and per diem and no w2 [ 1 Answers ]

H1B holder basic salary is paid in home country by home country employer who is in joint venture with H1B sponsor. Visa holder receives per diem amount in the US. He has not received any W2 or the like for 2005? What is his income for filing? Can he exclude the per diem payment? He is not from a...

View more questions Search