Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FallingApart Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Lump with pain on side of tongue.
    I have had a painful lump on the right side of my tongue about two times over the past year. I am a 23 yr old smoker and drinker... which I know is half my problem. This lump usually arises after I have been asleep for a bit. It usually cause me to talk a bit different and has some pain associated. The lump goes away and my speech improves over the course of a couple/few days. Should I be worried? When the pain goes away I cannot feel the lump anymore. Any ideas? Thanks
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 09:48 PM
    How about going to your dentist to have your teeth cleaned and ask him/her to examine your tongue... they are good recognizing problems with the tongue and you can kill two birds with one stone. :)

May 21, 2008, 10:24 PM
    I think I need to do that anyway... thanks
    spirit1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Yep, the Dentist will know what to do! Probably some teething numbs it.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 04:05 PM
    You definitely should have your dentist check it. Cancerous lesions are usually not sore and will not come and go. Do you have any sharp or broken teeth on the right side of your mouth? You could be irritating your tongue with them while you sleep.

I don't think your dentist can help you with your other lump.:o

May 23, 2008, 06:41 PM
    That's why I am not that concerned with it I just wanted some input. My aunt has recently developed dystonia in her tongue and I was seeing if it was maybe early signs that it is happening to me. As for the other one, that could be an awkward dental visit!
    changed4ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 07:37 PM
    PLEASE go now. I had the same thing. I ignored it for one year thinking it was an ulcer. It was cancer. Only stage one though. I had a tongue reconstruction and radio... Im not saying this is what you have but the longer you wait the worse it will get. If I had gone when the lump first appearred I wouldn't be aware of the fact everyday that my tongue is not as it was. I was told I would never talk or sing again (I am a singer) that is rubbish... I do both still) BUT there is a LOT of recovery involved. But would you rather go through something that will make you stronger and more compassionate... or die of cancer once it gets into your lymph glands? GO NOW!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 08:56 PM
    Good information changed4ever, but please make note of the date of the original post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Under Tongue [ 4 Answers ]

About 4 months ago I one day woke up and with my tongue could feel a pretty large lump underneath my tongue in the floor lining of my mouth, and haven't been able to make it to the dentist yet as I am really short on money but was hoping to gain some insight here so any help will be appreciated....

Lump on Side of Tongue [ 9 Answers ]

I am convinced I have tongue Cancer. About 4 months ago I went to the dentist and he hit my tongue with the drill. Shortly after that I noticed a lump on the left side of my tongue. I have been to two different doctors for a total of three times. Two of the times it was with a Cancer Specailist...

Tongue lump [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... My sister is a heavy smoker as well as an alcoholic... She has developed a large painful lump on her tongue which is preventing her from speaking properly making it difficult for her to at and swallow as it is painful... Can anybody tell me what this could be... I have been trying to get her...

Lump on Side of the tongue [ 1 Answers ]

I am convinced I have tongue Cancer. About 4 months ago I went to the dentist and he hit my tongue with the drill. Shortly after that I noticed a lump on the left side of my tongue. I have been to two different doctors for a total of three times. Two of the times it was with a Cancer Specailist...

View more questions Search