Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jebsdunk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Soggy subfloor and discolored linoleum near shower
    I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the metal frame corners that hold the doors. I am pretty sure water is not coming from inside the shower unless the fiberglass has a crack I can't see. There is no staining of the ceiling in the downstairs closet which is under the shower. Water must be moving laterally from drain area in the subfloor. I have a metal strainer that snaps off the drain and I see a piece that screws into the bottom part of the drain assembly that needs a special tool to unscrew. It looks like there is a gasket there and it looks compressed and old. Could this be the source?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jebsdunk
    I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the metal frame corners that hold the doors. I am pretty sure water is not coming from inside the shower unless the fiberglass has a crack I can't see. There is no staining of the ceiling in the downstairs closet which is under the shower. Water must be moving laterally from drain area in the subfloor. I have a metal strainer that snaps off the drain and I see a piece that screws into the bottom part of the drain assembly that needs a special tool to unscrew. It looks like there is a gasket there and it looks compressed and old. Could this be the source??
    Hey Jeb,
    I don't see where you have much choice but to open up the ceiling and find out exactly where the leak's coming from. Until you've done that you're just guessing. Most leaks in manufactured shower floor come from a faulty seal around the lip of the drain or "spider cracks" that develops in the floor itself.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subfloor over concrete under shower base? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if it is a good idea to put a subflloor over the basement concrete under the shower base or if I should just use mortar or even PL200 glue.

Bathroom subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I had to replace the subfloor in my bathroom around the toilet not the whole thing just a cut out piece. Do I have to fill the gaps between my butted up pieces? If so with what? Secondly I also have to lay a partial piece of 3/4 on top of my base do I need to lay anything down on top of the...

Discolored tooth [ 6 Answers ]

I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?

Discolored Hot Water [ 3 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help... My hot water is a light yellow dinge color. Not very noticeable and you can only notice it when you fill a glass up with hot water and set it next to a glass filled with cold water. We recently converted from an electric water heater to a gas water heater in...

View more questions Search