Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noonshadow Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Power to computer
    This is either a computer or home electric problem.

This may be long...

First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the internet and doing some minor troubleshooting (swapping ram, changing outlets, etc... ) I caved and took the computer into 'geek squad' at bestbuy. I got a call back real soon after dropping it off saying that the computer posted bios fine and that all my hardware checked out. This made me feel good being I just spent a lot of money on it and it was my first build. I took it home and it still did not work. So I thought the problem was with my monitor. I brought everything back (including the monitor & cables) to 'geek squad' and still they were able to get it to boot.

So after all this work I have narrowed the problem down to the power I have in my apartment. It is odd that this is the case being there are other appliences that work just fine such as air conditioner, fridge, and other computers. The only difference that I can find is that the power supply in my computer is 650 W while the other computers run on 300 W power supplies.

I am completely confused... through reading other forums I suspect that there is a break/short in the neutral in the apartment power.

I am somewhat electrical savvy. I own a multimeter and am fully able and comfortable doing electric checks.

I appreciate any advice/steps on fixing my computer problems.

Thanks

This is either a computer or home electric problem.

This may be long...

First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the internet and doing some minor troubleshooting (swapping ram, changing outlets, etc... ) I caved and took the computer into 'geek squad' at bestbuy. I got a call back real soon after dropping it off saying that the computer posted bios fine and that all my hardware checked out. This made me feel good being I just spent a lot of money on it and it was my first build. I took it home and it still did not work. So I thought the problem was with my monitor. I brought everything back (including the monitor & cables) to 'geek squad' and still they were able to get it to boot.

So after all this work I have narrowed the problem down to the power I have in my apartment. It is odd that this is the case being there are other appliences that work just fine such as air conditioner, fridge, and other computers. The only difference that I can find is that the power supply in my computer is 650 W while the other computers run on 300 W power supplies.

I am completely confused... through reading other forums I suspect that there is a break/short in the neutral in the apartment power.

I am somewhat electrical savvy. I own a multimeter and am fully able and comfortable doing electric checks.

I appreciate any advice/steps on fixing my computer problems.

Thanks

It is definitely a weird problem. To answer your questions... I did see it boot at best buy. And I did see it boot with my monitor/cables. That is the reason I am so baffled.

I have tried to unplug the USB & Fire-wire. The computer still booted the same way (i.e. it powered up monitor and all but with no display sent to the monitor). Will the computer still boot to bios screen when I remove the hard drive, cd drives, etc.. I can try that tonight.

I have a outlet tester that I picked up at home depot that will show if the outlets are good or not. I have already tested most of the outlets with a voltmeter and did find bad ones. I was wondering if the bad ones are in the same circuit as the good ones; could this have an effect on electrical equipment down/up the line?

I will try your ideas and get back to you. Thank you for your comments.

I am also going to let the landlord know that he has some electrical issues with some of the circuits in the apartment. If he sends an electrician to fix them I can maybe pick the electricians brain on the problem too.

Thanks Scleros
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
    You should have 120 Volts AC at the receptacle.
    Try a Drill or Toaster in the Computer receptacle in question.
    650 Watt power supply will run easier than a 300 watt. (Can power more things without overloading.
    Double check monitor cable to computer. Good Luck.

May 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
    I have had other large (power drawing) appliances in that outlet such as a large LCD TV, another computer, and a vacuum. I will use the multimeter to test the leads.

I know the cables btwn wall-monitor-computer are all snug. They did work while at 'geek squad'.

still lost. I will repost when I get the values from the voltmeter.

thank you stratmando

May 20, 2008, 01:24 PM
    I just finished testing the outlets in the house. I did find bad ones. The good ones have values of 120 V btwn hot and neutral & btwn hot and gnd. I get about 0.125 V btwn gnd and neutral. I believe these to be good values.

I also (while plugged into one of these good outlets) tested the cable (6-pin) going from my computers internal power supply (650 W) to the video card and I get about 12 V btwn all the leads.

like I said all other appliences work out of the outlets. The computer has worked when I took it to best buy. It is just not working in my apartment.

someone plez help
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Did they try with your Monitor.
    Your voltage test looked good, only other thing you could determine if it is your power or not would be to test voltage in bottom receptacle while computer is plugged into the top.
    It doesn't sound like an Electrical problem.
    Not sure if you should see 5 volts also?

May 21, 2008, 05:27 AM
    I can only assume it is an electrical problem due to it working fine at best buy. They tested it there with all my equipment including my monitor. I can try testing the other plug while my computer powers up to see if there is a lull in the output. Who knows.

Thank you again Stratmando. Hopefully I can get this fixed up soon.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Have you tried in another area of your house, I'm thinking more the monitor cable or where its plugged into computer?
    If it is mantaining 120 Volts, Frequency is set to 60 Hertz by power company, not much you can do. Look at the pins at the end of monitor cable.

May 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
    It is strange because I know the monitor cable works... they were able to get it to work at Best Buy. Maybe there is something wrong with the frequency. I doubt it though because there are other monitors (tv and computer) that are plugged into the same circuit. I have tried moving the computer to different areas in the house too. I now think I have tried every individual circuit to no avail. Tonight I am going to let my land lord know of the bad circuits I have found. Hopefully, somehow, this fixes the problem. Crossing my fingers. My computer makes a pretty decorative paper weight.

Thanks again Stratmando
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 09:07 AM
    If frequency was off, Electric Company would have many calls, I would think, and would affect everyone on your Grid? Good Luck
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 21, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Before we go off to the green wall in left field, you said you have another computer, yes?

If so, swap the monitor out for test purposes. Also, make sure your monitor is set for the proper mode as in Digital or Analog modes.

If the monitor worked for the Geeks, then you need to be checking your connectors for bent pins or blocked receptacles for the Video cables.

Do your video drivers match your Video equipment?

I am going to request that this item be moved over to the Computer> Hardware forum.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Posts moved and merged.

Please keep the same thread and not start several threads on the same issue

May 21, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Note: I do have this on computer for beginners forum. I did both in order to cover my bases.

I have tried swapping monitors. Both monitors showed no signal being received. I have tried switching between DVI and Analog (using the correct cord of course) with no change.

The monitor def worked for the geeks. You said to start checking my connectors... what connectors? The outlet connectors?

I am unsure about the drivers matching the video equipment being I have never successfully posted bios on the new build. I have seen the bios screen when the geeks started it but never at home.

I appreciate your comments. Keep the ideas coming. I will do anything.

May 22, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Well, the plot gets murkier.

Other monitors fail on this system unit. Okay, its time to whip out the Ohm meter and wring out the pin to pin connections of the cables between the PC and the monitor.

Next, are you drawing the 120 VAC for the monitor from the PC's Power Supply or from a wall outlet?

If you are drawing from the power supply, measure the output of the AC on the Power supply and try plugging the monitor into the a standard 120 VAC wall receptacle.

Also, if you can get inside the monitor case, get a reading off the AC into the monitor.

Last test, swap out the video chips or card with a known working system.

Please make sure you are grounded to the frame before you start swapping cards. We do not want any ESD complications now! Do you own a logic probe or an "O" scope?

May 22, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Hey!! I was able to borrow a power surge/battery/power stabilizer and the computer was finally able to boot!! Thank you all for all your help!

May 22, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Hey back at you, your PC should be able to work off a normal wall outlet.

Be careful, please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power to computer? [ 2 Answers ]

This is either a computer or home electric problem. This may be long... First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the internet...

Computer power supply [ 3 Answers ]

When I went on vacation I had switched the power strip to the off position and 10 days later when I switched back on at the power strip there was that sound of electronics sizzle with a small amount of smoke that I had through was something other than my desk top. I've checked the power strip and...

No power at all to my computer having just built it. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. Please reply to this question only in the Desktop section as i have put it there too as i got no reply in this section. Thanks. Just put together (for the first time in my life) a computer. Dual Core 4600x AM2 computer with liquid cooled heat sink and Asus M2N32 SLi deluxe...

No power at all to my computer having just built it. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. (I have asked this question in Computers for beginners too but no answer yet so though I would put the question in here, hope no duplications occur!)... Just put together (for the first time in my life) a computer. Dual Core 4600x AM2 computer with liquid cooled heat sink and Asus...

View more questions Search