Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    z3love Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 07:58 AM
    An inheritance that was given to me from an overseas individual I am not related to, has been decided to be split into three pieces, one of which will be mine. I repeat that the money in question has legally been decided in country to be entirely mine, and it is my choice to split the proceeds of this inheritance between us. When my portion is wired here to me, is there any IRS or government forms or information I need to give the government about this transaction to avoid taxes and any legal issues?
    tovale Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 04:40 PM
    I want to transfer money(40,000$),with my bank,here in New York, to my brother,in israel,to but an apartment in israel.
    I paid tax for this money.
    Is it going to be a problem with IRS?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 02:38 PM
    No, it should NOT be a problem.
    hamlet004 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 12:38 PM
    I don't know if it is too late to weigh in on this and ask a question, but I am confused about Intltax's answer.

"This risk can be avoided by you opening a foreign bank account, having your mother transfer into your foreign account, and then you wire transfer the funds to your U.S. account."

If this person opens a foreign bank account and his mother wires the money to that account, and then HE wires it to his US account, won't it be difficult to prove this money was a "gift" since he will be in essence sending the money to himself? Also, once he opens the foreign account, won't be liable for taxes/explanation in THAT country for the money that his mother has wired to him?

I'm just wondering if doing it this way invites a lot more paperwork and a lot more problems- not to mention this person would have to travel overseas to open the account... no?

Thanks in advance...
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
    There are NO taxes on these types of transfers, at least from the U.S. side of the equiation, and if the transfer is from one account to another account that you both own, then proving the gift is not even an issue, since the IRS has no way of determing from where the money originates outside of the U.S.
    zhao_salem_98 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
    If the foreign donor gives 50K twice in separate tax years, then the donee doesn't have to report to IRS anything, right?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
    Yes, that is correct.
    Food_Stamp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2013, 11:02 PM
    Will a gift $5k cancel the food stamps for a low income U.S. student?
    (he has $1k/month income and he is receiving that gift)
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2013, 08:01 AM
    That is NOT a tax question, but rather a regulatory question as to whether a gift negates someone's eligibility for food stamps. For this reason, I cannot answer.
    austinjean6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2013, 08:01 PM
    I need some tax advice.. my mother is looking to gift me a property in the UK. I am a US citizen by naturalization. The property is worth approximately $450K and she has held it for 15 years. The original value of the property was $200K. She has spent some money over the years on the house.. it has never been rented out or declared as a rental property in the UK. When/if she transfers it to me she will have to pay capital tax on the transfer of approx $50K. What are the capital gains taxes I would pay if I was to dispose of it without living in it (is it valued at the original value at time it was inherited by her? Or at the final value at time of transfer to me ? Can I deduct the capital gains tax she paid in the UK? I I was to live in the house for 2 years ywould I avoid the capital gains tax ? (during which time I would not be resident in the USA. WOuld I have to declare this as Income or capital gains tax if I was not returning to the US ? What would happen if in the interim I rented the property out ? Would that impact the final valuation for capital gains tax ?

Many thanks for any advice anyone can give me.. I would also be interested in any recommended reading or sources of tax advice going forward.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 10, 2013, 05:44 AM
    Generally, you would pay capital gains tax on the DIFFERENCE between the sales price (but ONLY when you sell it) and the purchase price of $200K plus the cost of the improvements.

There will be NO tax due on the gift itself because your mother presumably is NOT a U.S. citizen.

If you returned to the U.K. and lived in the house for at least two years, then the capital gain would likely be exempt under the exclusion for the sale of primary homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift fron non USA citizen and transfer the money to the states [ 6 Answers ]

I am US citizen leaving abroad. My mother sold some property and gave me a gift of 90000 dollars. I want to wire the money to the states and establish a stock Brokerage account and buy USA stocks. My mother is not USA citizen. Do I have any tax obligations for the money I have received?

Gift of money to child? [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Wisconsin how much money can a parent gift a child without being taxed on it?

Money gift [ 2 Answers ]

If I received $3000 for a gift do I pay taxes?

Money as a gift [ 7 Answers ]

My father in law is giving my husband $100,000.00 as a gift. We are purchasing property with it. Do we have to pay interest or taxes on this money? Does my father in law have to pay taxes or interest on it? Debbie

Gift of money [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a gift from a family member in the amount of $20,000.00. It wasn't technically an inheritance, because the money from the sale of the house of the deceased went ot her and she wrote a check to us. So it was a gift. What should I know before depositing it into my account? Since...

View more questions Search