Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mastertruitt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Craftsman lawn tractor
    We have an older ( 8 to 10 years old) Craftsman that suddenly quit. I checked all I could think of and found that the air filter was bad. I took it off thinking I would try and start it then. It started but also shot oil out of a port inside the breather compartment. Now it will start, smpke like a bandit and die. Any help would be aprreciated.
    One Eyed Jack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 07:15 AM
    I have the tractor w/ B&S 15.5 HP OHV motor. I had a very similar problem w/the oil and the smoke... :( Turns out it was a blown head gasket. (Apparently a very poor design.):mad: The piston strokes and the pressure blows by the gasket into the crankcase causing oil to shoot past the breather valve and into the airbox where the carb sucks it in and the motor tries to run on it, smoking like a chimney... The good news is that replacing the gasket is fairly easy if you have even a moderate amount of mechanical ability.:p The bad news is that it will happen again, but probably not for years if your repair job is decent. Happy wrench turning...
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Sounds as though the oil breather is dirty or defective. Replace the oil breather.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a used Craftsman Lawn Tractor. Last summer it worked fine. Now, when I am cutting the grass, it shuts off. It will idle without the blades engaged. As soon as I put it in gear or engage the blades, it shuts off. I have replaced the inline fuel filter and it has fresh fuel in it. Any...

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

How much trouble is it to change the drive belt on a 15.5hp Sears Lawn Tractor? Seems like the speed of this lawn tractor has slowed down. I am assuming that the drive belt could possibly be stretched. Any onther ideas?

Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove the blade carriage from the bottom of the mower?

Craftsman lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

My craftsman 15.5 ohv mo#28n787 . Oil from engine is being pumped into carburator through oil breather tube what can I do to fix this .

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced the mower clutch cable on my 16.5 HP Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. After doing so, the transmission to the tractor will not engage. All the belts seem to be in place. I did not replace the clutch carriage bolt yet, as indicated by the instructions, after...

View more questions Search