Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mare1991 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
    HELP.I am writing a research paper and I am gathering information but I always have trouble writing a thesis statement I just don't know how to write one! Can you help me give me ideas please!!

MY TOPIC: Women's Rights Activism in the 19th Century.
    My paper is a Cause and Effect sort of thing so I am going to talk about the cause of women's lack of rights and how that had an effect on how the women in the 19th Century reacted...
    So I don't really know what to focus on in my thesis statement.

Thank you-

Thanks to the continuous ignorance about women’s rights in the years of settlement, women were forced to live under similar conditions as slaves, lacking the right to voice their thoughts or represent their opinion in public As an effect to this unjust system, women of the 19th Century held meetings, organized and fought for rights that America stood for, thanks to four incredibly strong women who finally decided it was time to get what they had fought for alongside of American men, to gain their liberty from the British.

----this is all I have come up so far, it feels so weak... please help me!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 12:35 AM
    Hi, mare1991!

I just merged your two posts together so that it would be one, complete question. If I let your response to your question remain, it might get "lost in the shuffle" down the line somewhere and people might not understand that you have already posted a start to your thesis here.

What were the specific instructions that you were given to writing your thesis, please? There is more than one type of thesis, and knowing what kind you are supposed to write will help people here who know how to do this to help you the best here.

Just from what you have already mentioned concerning cause and effect and what you have started to write as the essay, your thesis would seem to be one that would be the argumentative kind, and that would be to prove a point of some kind.

If indeed it turns out that your thesis is supposed to be an argument, what is it that you are wanting to prove concerning your topic? What you are trying to prove would be integral to developing your thesis statement.

Thanks!

May 22, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Hey! Thank you I did not know how to merge it together.
    My research paper is a cause and effect paper. So I suppose my thesis must reflect that? I worked some more on it and I came up with this thesis but I still need help so any you can give will be sooo welcome.
    "Five women instigated a social revolution that basically initiated the women’s movement, activists fought hard; their biggest challenge being to convince women themselves rather than the male society for an ideology rooted in tradition is hard to disregard."
    -
    Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 03:03 AM
    I do apologize! I haven't been able to get online due to my phone not working at all yesterday. Finally fixed the problem myself, tonight.

Yes. Your thesis should reflect cause and effect. The women did something that you want to highlight, and the repercussions of what they did were both far-reaching and had a long-term effect on society and most of the world.

You have done some good work here! I do think that I have an idea as to what the message is that you are trying to convey.

Concerning your thesis statement, I would recommend making it a little more concise and to the point. You can explain things later in your thesis concern "why" and "who" did what. That is my recommendation, anyway.

Perhaps something like the following would be useful to you as far as your developing thesis statement?

"The social revolution, as initiated by basically five women, was based on an ideology that was challenging in that well-grounded traditions proved hard to change based upon the mindsets of the people who held them dear and who were reluctant to change.

What do you think?

May 24, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Oh that sounds so much better!
    Thank you so much!!
    Just one Last question. I am debating whether to do a cause research paper or an effect one. I don't know which one will be more beneficial especially since I have a time restriction "19th Century"?Do you think you can help me with that.
    And also all the research I have done is preety much general cause I did not know how to focus my paper. The topic I think I mentioned it before is "Women's Rights activism in 19th Century" Would I be to broad if just talked about the cause of the lack of women's rights and how in effect women fought for their rights. That just seems so, basic!? I am really at a loss, if you could just guide me on this that would be so helpful
    Thank you,
    Mariam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thesis statement [ 5 Answers ]

Is this a good thesis statement? Becoming more aware of native cultures helps us to see the beauty in life

Thesis statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is crystal and this is my first time asking a question. I need help with a thesis statement on The Great Irish Famine. Please help!

Thesis statement [ 2 Answers ]

I needa a help forming a thesis statement integrating the fall of the house of usher and dr jekyll and mr hyde.

Thesis Statement [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write a good thesis statement for a topic on green house effect?

View more questions Search