Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

May 20, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Amnesty for Illegals is up for a vote again.
    The Loft » Blog Archive » Amnesty Sneaking Back into Congress — Again!

After multiple defeats, thanks to large numbers of concerned activists, members of the Senate are trying to pass amnesty once again.

This time, the Senate is hiding the amnesty legislation inside the Iraq War Supplemental Appropriations Bill. That's right... the legislation focused on paying for our troops who are in harms way is also the means by which senators are trying to give illegal aliens a free pass. This is wrong, and we should once again let Congress know how we feel.

As noted in the story Senate loads war funding bill with domestic programs, the bill has become a hodge podge of numerous additions for pet projects and more spending. One rider presented by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Larry Craig (R-ID) "would allow almost 1.4 million immigrant farm workers to stay in the United States for up to five years.

Is there really anything we can do to prevent this bill for amnesty from happening? We've tried many times and only managed for it to go undercover/secret.

There are online petitions to send a complaint to your own Representatives, but it seems to me our entire political leadership is in favor of passing this. Bush, McCain, Clinton and Obama, along with almost the entire Senate. WHY do you think that is? All it seems to offer is that we the citizens will be taking on a huge additional expense at a really terrible time in our economy. Really, what do the American people have to gain by passing this bill to allow amnesty?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Those in favor of amnesty do so on either 'humanitarian' or 'monetary' principles, most of which are motivated by the monetary type. This is the issue upon which George W. Bush has sacrificed the majority in his party. If McCain is able to win the November election, the Reagan coalition will be unrecognizable in four years.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 07:28 AM
    I am so sick of the use of riders to bills that have nothing to do with the legislation. That is why I still favor line-item vetoes even though they are of questionable constitutionality.

George is right . There were candidates on the Republican side that made immigration and border enforcement a central issue in their campaigns .They were soundly defeated and the current crop of candidates favor the shamnesty that they call "comprehensive immigration reform" .

Last year this was defeated by a swift mobilization of the citizenry after Congress tried to rail-road the legislation through in the middle of the night. There was aggressive phone calling /e-mailing /petition campaign that scared enough of the Republicans to take action against it .

But this year I think all the Republicans see the writing on the wall. There is no standard bearer who will take up the mantle and the rest of them are running for cover after the 3 special election defeats in traditional Republican strong hold districts.

This move is being initiated by Dianne Frankenfeinstein and wide stance Larry Craig.
    Time is on the side of Speaker Pelosi and Sen. Reid .If this attempt fails they will wait it out and continue to try to sneak it in bills as riders. If Republicans who oppose it cannot get it out of the current Defense Appropriations Bill then they will be forced to choose between not funding the troops or passing shamnesty.

For what it's worth a petition against this is here
    No Amnesty.

Perhaps it will be defeated again .Only 10 Senators signed onto sponsorship to this .But long term prospects don't look good.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Check this out .

Turns out back in 2005 someone tried to attach an AgJobs rider onto the Defense Appropriations Bill. It failed to pass . One Senator said of this attempt :
    "This is not the place for this bill. I believe it is a mistake to pass this bill on an emer- gency supplemental that is designed to provide help for our military, fighting in extraordinary circumstances."
    Yup it was Sen. Feinstein... believe it or not...
    The Modesto Bee | Feinstein pushing for ag worker program

Anyway the crisis is over... for now . The people have been heard

Daily Herald - Senate drops farm guest-worker legislation
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

May 22, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Thanks Tom. It's a relief for now. It's not over.

It seems to me that with all the people out of work with families to support, there may not be an emergency need at all. In Michigan, people are losing their homes and have no place to go so if the farmers will make them a reasonable offer, I think it will work and help Americans.

We're a big agricultural area too. I remember as a school child, the schools being closed for two weeks for quick potato and fruit picking by students. It could happen in other places too. First, we have to take care of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    check this out .

Turns out back in 2005 someone tried to attach an AgJobs rider onto the Defense Appropriations Bill. It failed to pass . One Senator said of this attempt :

Yup it was Sen. Feinstein ......believe it or not ....
    The Modesto Bee | Feinstein pushing for ag worker program

Anyway the crisis is over ....for now . The people have been heard

Daily Herald - Senate drops farm guest-worker legislation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You.S. Army Wants to Enlist Illegals [ 6 Answers ]

Anyone remember when I called this one several months ago... Tom do you remember?:p Political Mavens » U.S. Army Wants to Enlist Illegals

Right to vote [ 3 Answers ]

Can I ever get my rights back if I was convicded of a felony

Why I should vote? [ 7 Answers ]

I am going to bring my thread here to start it in a new light. The header is just a teaser,the real question is: Why SHOULD I vote? This was from a different post,I would like it to be the focus of my thread. I do vote,in ALL elections(just to clear that up)

Amnesty is Durbin's Dream [ 44 Answers ]

Kate O'Beirne alerts us that the Comprehensive Amnesty plan that was proposed in the spring, and shot down after Congress heard from we the people, is going to be repackaged ;and reintroduced as riders to legislation in a piecemeal basis . Kate O'Beirne on Immigration on National Review...

Who would vote for? [ 12 Answers ]

OK everybody this is a volunteer question so if you don't wish to answer then don't.I have already been harassed by people who don't wish to share something like this. OK...Barack Obama who is an AA and Hillary Clinton are the likely democratic candidates to run in 08'.My question is if you had a...

View more questions Search