Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burrridge Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 11:09 PM
    Who pays deceased dad's bills
    I have been taking care of someone for sometime now because of health reasons. I have a written and notarized agreement between myself and this party. If he should pass on, would his heirs be liable to pay me or would I have to go to court. If so, please advise how to proceed. IL resident
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 11:29 PM
    When he dies, all of his assets are to be sold to pay all of his creditors (including you).

However, if this man dies and has no assets, then you are out of luck.

One way to protect yourself is to get one of his children to co-sign this notarized agreement. That way, once this man dies, their child will be responsible to you for this debt (assuming this man has no or little assets now)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Hi,
    Another thing to consider; does this written agreement give you the same rights as an heir? Is it a "Power of Attorney", only giving you the right to administer medicines? Or make decisions concerning if he is to be admitted to a hospital? Does he have a Will listing you in it? If you are in his Will, giving you money for taking care of him, then you shouldn't have any problem, if his estate has any money in it.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    If you are in his Will, giving you money for taking care of him, then you shouldn't have any problem, if his estate has any money in it.
    While technically true, I wouldn't go this route. He can put you in his will today and tomorrow, secretly, change it and remove you from it. He has no legal obligation to share with you the contents of his will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who pays [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter and soon to be son in law are planning their wedding in Oct... so far they only want the parents to help as little as possible... Fine... but I was recently asked... being that they are paying for a great deal of their own wedding... what is the ettiquette on out of town guest and who...

Who pays the bill [ 13 Answers ]

OK new subject. Lets say you are meeting your girlfriend at the bar to visit friends. She shows up about an hour earlier than you do. She has a few drinks before you get there. You show up, order a drink and your girlfriend tells the bar tender to put it on the tab she started because we are...

Stepmother and Biological Dad's Will [ 3 Answers ]

My dad died recently and I know he had a will. I have heard that my step mother is not going to probate his will. And if she doesn't, I have no way of knowing what was in the will and if my name along with my two brother's names are mentioned and if dad left anything to us at all. My question...

Crime Pays? [ 3 Answers ]

I read this article today on CNet News,and could'nt believe my eyes.Whilst not wishing to sound pro-Microsoft,or anti-Microsoft,I now find myself lost for words.A 'huge' fine,has now been reduced to 225 community service.Without sounding cynical,is this tactical? ...

View more questions Search