Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YukonHawk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Size of seat valve washer fir water shut off
    Hi... Hoping someone can help.

When I replaced my whole house water filter today I noticed water was still leaking before I placed the new filter in the container. So I tightened the shut off valve but water still leaked from inside the filter housing. The shut off valve is a 1 inch fitting.

My question... is there a standard size beveled washer that I should get for the seat? I just want to be prepared a head of time so that I purchased the correct washer. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Hi Paul,

Lot of washer sizes. The sell kits of different sizes of washers at most hardware stores. Or you could shut the water off at the meter, open the valve and remove the washer, reassemble the valve with out the washer and take it in to a plumbing shop to replace it. You can then reverse the procedure. TIP: Check the seat for nicks and rough spots. If you find any either replace the seat or the valve. Good luck, Tom
    YukonHawk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I appreciate :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Kitchen water shut off valve [ 9 Answers ]

I recently had my kitchen water shut off valve replaced. When the shut off valve is turned off for the hot and cold water, the compression faucet still drips. I shut the water off at the main valve outside and it still drips. Is there a quick fix to this? The water that is dripping is cold. I...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Water Shut-off Valve [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace the valve supplying water to the toilet water tank, but am unable to unscrew it. It turns, but it does not come off. What can I do? Need help ASAP! Thank you!

Home Water Shut Off Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Do you recommend shutting off the main house water shut off valve? We are leaving our southern California home for six months and living in our second home in Ohio. Our house is 30 years old with main water lines in a slab. A few homes in the neighborhood have experienced leaks in the slab. ...

View more questions Search