Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bosoxfan79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Dual Monitor Set-up (extended display) with a Slim Tower PC
    I have a Dell Inspiron 530S slim tower PC and am trying to to set up dual monitors with extended display. I purchased a 256 MB RADEON HD 2400 Pro Half Height Graphics Card in order to set this up. Since I have a slim tower PC I can only install a graphics card with one monitor port. I also purchased a cable monitor splitter so I could hook up the two monitors to the new graphics card. I have not been able to set up the extended display option and can only have the same images on both computer monitors. So here are my questions: 1. Do I need a driver for the new graphics card? (the drivers that came with the card are not compatible with vista) 2. Is it possible to set up dual monitors with extended display for a slim tower PC like mine? 3. Is it possible to set up dual monitors with extended display with my graphics card and a splitter?

I would greatly appreciate answers to these questions especially since I have spent hours on the phone with dell and have not gotten any straight answers.:)
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 20, 2008, 07:00 PM
    To get different images on two monitors, each monitor has to be receiving a different signal. With a Y type cable "splitter" (correct me if this isn't the case), you're taking a single signal and duplicating it to both monitors - it's not really splitting the signal, it's replicating it.

You'll need either a multiport graphics card (Google "low profile multiport graphics card") and let the graphics card do the work of splitting the image across multiple displays or another external device that will truly split a single wide image signal into two pieces and output each piece to each monitor.

You do need a compatible driver loaded to take full advantage of the card's features. Otherwise, one of the Standard VGA adapter drivers gets loaded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Monitor Display [ 4 Answers ]

My friends PC, running W98, will no longer have a display. She has tried plugging in two other monitors with the same result... nothing. She says she may have messed up something while in safe mode. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I don't want a dual monitor, but I don't want to use my laptop monitor. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect my desktop computer monitor onto my desktop replacement laptop and have it be the default monitor? I am currently using these two as a dual monitor, and have no use for the laptop screen. I want to just close it up, leave it on the side, and pretend I'm just using a desktop...

No display in monitor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello friends. Me, Sankha again faced a new problem. The problem is that my monitor have no display. It works fine but suddenly form today it stop displaying. Now the monitor display nothing. What happen: 1. Cpu fan runs. 2. CD DVD rom runs HD also spins. 3. The power led & HD led...

Monitor display [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, After my son aged 8 finished using the computer the screen display was rotated 90 degrees. He was playing an on line game. I have been into the control panel and then display but nothing seems to rotate the display back and my neck is now hurting. The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000...

Dual Monitor Extended Desktop to CRT [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dual monitor on my laptop and extend my desktop when displaying things like PowerPoint and video, etc. As you know, only certain programmes display through the second monitor when you extend your desktop. My questions is, how does the computer know what can be displayed and what can not be...

View more questions Search