Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
    How to determine which fuse size I need?
    I've just installed power door locks in my Honda Civic, and I've placed a fuse holder along the wire that goes from + terminal to the door lock relay.

First of all, should it be on the + side of the battery or the - side?

More important question is, how do I determine the fuse size that I need to have there? Do I have someone operate the door locks and I measure amperage being used, and put a fuse that can handle that much current? If it's using, for example, 4.5 amps, how much bigger fuse can I use? I understand I could use a 5 amp fuse, but I'd just like to know (for future reference) how much bigger (in percentage perhaps?) can the fuse be?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2006, 05:40 PM
    The wire size and the insulation of a wire generally dicates the ampacity of the wire. Since amp loads are low, and wire is not subjected to continuous heat, and circuit lengths are normally short the wire size is fine. Fusing a circuit for the actual amp draw plus 25% is what is used in building codes.

Here is a typical wire ampacity chart:

COPPER CONDUCTOR AMPACITIES, IN FREE AIR AT 30 DEGREES C
    ================================================== ======
    INSULATION RUW, T THW, THWN FEP, FEPB
    TYPE: TW RUH THHN, XHHW
    Size Current Rating Current Rating Current Rating
    AWG @ 60 degrees C @ 75 degrees C @ 90 degrees C
    20 -------- *9 ----------------------------- *12.5
    18 -------- *13 ------------------------------ 18
    16 -------- *18 ------------------------------ 24
    14 --------- 25 ------------- 30 ------------- 35
    12 --------- 30 ------------- 35 ------------- 40
    10 --------- 40 ------------- 50 ------------- 55
    8 ---------- 60 ------------- 70 ------------- 80
    6 ---------- 80 ------------- 95 ------------ 105
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Feb 26, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Thank you very much for a quick answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine a fair price for a business [ 3 Answers ]

My employer has offered me and my son a chance to buy her business. It's a commercial cleaning service that brings in aprox $15,500 a month. She wants payments of 7000 a month to be taken off the top of the profits. I'll be paying this for 5 years. There is no building in the sale, only...

How to determine percentage for employees [ 2 Answers ]

I have just opened a hair & nail salon and need help with percentages. Right now I am charging 60% - 40%; meaning the Shop gets 40% of what the stylists make and the keep 60% plus tips. But, my problem now is this; if I buy the shampoo, conditioner, relaxers and perms; should I then charge 50% &...

Thermal Fuse [ 3 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool le2500xtw1 dryer, I bought used.it worked fine for about a month, then one day it would run but not heat. First thing I did was get a new element. But the problem was the thermal fuse was blown. The replacement package had a new thermostat as well as the fuse. After a few days of...

3 amp fuse blown [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks

View more questions Search