Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asalia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Don't understand
    My 16 yr. old just started working as a busboy at a restaurant.he is fiiling out his w-4 form.what I want to know is does he put a number of dependents on this form or does he put 0 on it.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 19, 2008, 07:06 PM
    The W4 has to be filled out.

If he elects to select 0 Dependants (zero), he will get more money back when he files his 2008 return. This also means that they will take a litte more from his pay checks.

If he selects 1 dependent, they take less money from his check and he gets less money back when he files his return.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 19, 2008, 07:31 PM
    He should put 0 or 1 allowances on your W4. The purpose of W4 is to guide your employer how much tax they should withhold.
    If you put more allowances on your W4, your employer will withhold less federal and state taxes from your pay check. Then you may owe taxes when you file your tax return.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing W4 Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 20, 2008, 02:19 PM
    If he is single and YOU are going to claim him as a dependent, he should definitely claim NO MORE than 1 exemption on his W-4. This will ensure enough money is withheld to cover his tax liability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't understand him! Or me! [ 3 Answers ]

Since he's a shy guy it's quiet hard to understand him. 1. we aren't that close, because we don't talk much even if we do it's mostly me starting the conversation!. and I'm fed up about it! 2. he barely comes to my class to chat up with me or anything! 3. we rarely hang out after skul, because...

I don't understand him [ 3 Answers ]

I really like this guy and last summer we dated for a few month. We started sleeping together but it seemed he only contacted me when he wanted sex so I felt for my own dignity I needed to end the relationship even though I really cared for him. He text me back and asked me why I was ending...

I do not understand? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello I got a letter saying I was being sued for a debt So I called them and we have setup payment araingments So neither one of us went to the scheduled court hearing. They sent me a letter outlining our agreement. But I also received a default judgement in the mail from the courts. I don't...

Does anyone understand [ 7 Answers ]

I understand that this question is pretty stupid and is probably a waste of everyone's time but I was wondering why there are such courses like 'how to choose a tv' I can sort of understand when people really don't know and refuse to be ripped off, but isn't it just a waste of a course that could...

View more questions Search