Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patf Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Paint a car
    Hi,

I am going to paint my car by myself. I have some questions

1. should I put primer cover the old paint before paint a new coat or just wash and sand out wax?

2. is it better if use sprayer gun than aerosol?

3. how to make the clear coat shinny and glossy as original painted?

4. what is the procedures and tool for polishing ?

Thanks,
    Pat
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
    If you don't have the proper equipment, and the proper place, your freshly painted car is not going to look anything like I believe you imagine it will.

You can't just "spray aerosol" paint on a car and expect it to look like a factory paint job.

You need special paint, and equipment to make it look that way, not to mention a dust free environment until the paint has cured.

I think you better go to MAACO, or Earl Schibe!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Today's automotive paints are very toxic unless you have the proper equipment it is not a good weekend project for an amateur. If you want a good job, pay to have it done properly. Otherwise get a couple of cases of rattle cans and have fun making a mess.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Thanks guys, I was having to laugh, anyone remember those VW vans that we used to paint with spay cans back in the 60s 70s
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Thanks guys, I was having to laugh, anyone remember those VW vans that we used to paint with spay cans back in the 60s 70s

That's the first thing that came to mind, you should have seen my 72 Pinto!

I just pictured this guy, painting the car, waiting until the next day to look at it, and...

So much for that nice clear coat.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 03:32 PM
    I have recently seen someone use a paint roller doing just sections of the car at a time.
    With enough sanding and elbow grease, and buffing, it didn't look half bad!!
    And the color was black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much paint for whole interior of house? [ 10 Answers ]

I am going to paint the inside of my house. It is 2800 feet. How much paint should I buy and how do I figure it out. I am also painting the ceiling. After that I will try to tackle the exterior. Please Help Guardmom

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Car Paint [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a website that shows the available colours purple available to buy to paint your car. So if anyone knows any please help

Which Is Better Paint? [ 3 Answers ]

Which Is Better Paint Dunn Edwards Or Frazee In General Or Overall For Interior Painting?

To paint or not to paint [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving into a new home here in the next few months and the basement will be not finished. I want to do a couple of rooms down there, so how do I prepare the floors, do I paint them with that green paint for basement concrete floors or do I prep it with plywood or paint and then place...

View more questions Search