Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

May 19, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Ten year old sister
    I have a ten year old sister who lashes out about doing chores and cries, I think its to get attention then when I say to her "why are you crying so badly?"
    She says "i miss dad!" but she only does this when there's work to be done, my mom sometimes lecures her but I need help. (our dad is:( in prison he's been there for 4 and a half years) I need her to stop using that excuse for troughing a tantrum. Not only cause shesacting like a baby but my younger sister is catching on and doing the same thing.
    I now that they've been tramatized but come on, crying and screaming and refusing to do chores and blaming it on dad, just seems like an easy way to get out of chores and sticking them to me! Please I need adivice on how to handle this, wheather I should say nothing or say something I need help.
    gracean11 Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Hi, how old is your younger sister? Did you already explain to her the situation? And why her Dad is away? Talk to her in a very calm way, tell her she needs to help you and your mother in doing house chores.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Her behavior is getting the results she wants. Missing her dad, and crying is fine. She still needs to do her chores. What does your mom think?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 08:49 PM
    It is up to your mom to deal with her not you. I know it may be hard, but do your part, and show that your willing to do chores and maybe your younger sister will follow suit. Lead by being a good sample and that is all you can do.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 11:06 PM
    I agree with the above, it shouldn't be your responsibility to deal with it. But leading by example is still good. And maybe you can have a heart to heart talk with your sister. Something along the lines of "hey, i know, this sucks. i miss dad too. but we still have to keep doing things here." maybe even a "dad wouldn't want to see you cry like this, it would make him sad. he wants us to be happy."
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

May 20, 2008, 07:04 AM
    My 10 year old sister did the same thing 2 years ago when I was still living at home (she was 8 then) she would cry/whine about anything she didn't want to do... so I totally understand and I also understand that sometimes you may have to be responsible for your younger sister to help your mom out... so I hope this helps!

As for my sister, I realized that because she is the baby in the family she was a bit lonely (she had no play mates because of our age differences) so I sacrificed as much time as possible to develop a close relationship with her (playing games, watching cartoons with her, baking treats together, anything!)

So, when the time came for us to do things that would involve her being a responsible "big girl" it would go a lot smoother because she's developed a type of admiration and respect for me and wanted to do the chores to make me proud... which leads me to another suggestion reinforce good "big girl" behavior by complimenting her on good behavior and deeds... do your best to tell her things like: "good job!" "Thanks for picking up your toys!" "I'm so proud of you for remembering to......!" This will help her to relate doing chores with getting praise and she'll feel so much better about herself :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of my 11 year old sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Jennifer. I am 24 years old. I have been married for 5 years and have two sons. I am a full-time student majoring is Accounting and my husband and I own our own business. My mom passed away 6 years ago, when my little sister was 6 years old. Since my mom passed away, I have...

Custody of my 15 year old sister [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'd like to get custody of my sister who is 15 years old my mother died Thanksgiving of 2007 and I just assumed that since I was next of kin I didn't have to get custody/guardianship of her but he guidance counselor asked if I had guardianship of her since my mom is deceased and I said yes so...

Need to know rights to my 14 year old sister. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Wisconsin and I am trying to see if I have rights over my 14 year old sister. She has ran away already and begs me most nights to sleep at my house.. I moved out of my mothers when I was 16/17 because of the environment , I had a lot of problems and being around my mother...

Will my 16 year old niece and my sister ever get along again? [ 3 Answers ]

My sister has 5 children. 4 girls and 1 boy. For the most part they all love each other. My sister is really crafty with money and making a dollar last. She struggles with things but is very strong minded and has the will to make anything happen. EXCEPT trust her oldest daughter. My niece...

Why can't my 7 year old sister come to Canada ? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister was born in El Salvador in Central America . Now my mom & I came here to Canada in Summer 2003 . We've been applying for my sister to come ever since and can you believe that the Canadian immigration said no for my 3 and a half year old sister to be reunited with her mother back in 2003 ....

View more questions Search