Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

May 20, 2008, 05:56 AM
    BTW TAA is Texas Apartment Association. A business not a government org nor a non profit bizz.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scri8e
    What is TAA? Texas Apartment Association? If so that is a private business also not a government org.

I doubt that this is an automatic lease. Automatic leases are rarely used.
    They are a contract type of old and not legally binding in many states type.

Actually it's (TAA) a not for profit. Perhaps automatic renewing leases are neither common nor legal in California but pretty common where I am - NYS. On occasion I use them myself. However, the argument is moot because in this case it is very obviously not an automatic lease.

Would be interested in where automatic leases are not binding (it's a legal contract and I wonder just part of the contract cannot be enforced) and why you believe they are "contracts of old."

I also remain interested that your research showed no case law concerning lease renewal and retaliation.

Otherwise if the question is can the tenant sue/make a claim for discrimination you can pretty much claim for anything - it's the winning that is in question.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 05:59 AM
    BTW TAA is Texas Apartment Association. A business not a government org nor a non profit bizz.

Check again - it's a not-for-profit Association, thus the word "Association."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2008, 06:00 AM
    As far as I know, most leases are self perpetuating. In other words, unless either the landlord or the tenant actively terminates the lease it continues on as a periodic lease with all the same terms expect the rental amount and there is no longer an expiration date. Therefore, a landlord's refusal to renew the lease can be considered a termination.

I don't know if there is any case law to support this. I do understand a landlord cannot be forced to renew a lease (except maybe in cases of legal discrimination). But refusal to renew a lease presents a hardship to the tenant. A hardship that a landlord does not incur in the reverse situation. Therefore it makes sense to compensate a tenant IF, the landlord's refusal to renew is in retaliation for the tenant's exercise of their legal rights.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    However, the argument is moot because in this case it is very obviously not an automatic lease.
    I'm not so sure it's that obvious. An automatic lease renews if there is no action on the part of either the tenant or landlord. Just because the landlord exercised his right to not renew doesn't mean it wouldn't have renewed automatically if he hadn't

May 20, 2008, 06:03 AM
    I am a member of 3 associations in CA. They make a profit. You bet.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 06:08 AM
    I am a member of 3 associations in CA. They make a profit. You bet.

TAA is incorporated as a not-for-profit. If you belong to not-for-profits that are making a profit, then report them to the IRS.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm not so sure its that obvious. An automatic lease renews if there is no action on the part of either the tenant or landlord. Just because the landlord exercised his right to not renew doesn't mean it wouldn't have renewed automatically if he hadn't

I was going by the OP's statement that he/she was advised landlord would not be renewing lease - I suppose (in looking back) that could be read either way - automatic or not.

And you are 100% correct about the lease turning into month-to-month if no one does anything.

Other than that - I think this has gone (me included) w-a-a-a-y off topic.

May 20, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Nope a lease that is not renewed goes to a periodic lease by default.

Tenants and Landlords with a TERM lease. When that term ends they are to sign another or end the agreement. The default to a periodic or for laymen a month to month rental agreement is designed to cover all parties instead of no contract which it technically is when a term lease
    By it's term has ended.

I realize that you want to make this fly. The truth is that if this tenant follows your advice she may be found to be guilty of:

§ 92.334. Invalid Complaints and have to pay one months rent plus $500 to the Landlord. Including the Landlords court and Lawyers cost.

Please DO proceed! I would love to get this case on the books.

May 20, 2008, 06:21 AM
    But the Landlord in this case IS taking action.
    The landlord is NOT renewing the lease. Which is their right.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 06:23 AM
    But the Landlord in this case IS taking action.
    The landlord is NOT renewing the lease. Which is their right.

I can't tell which post you are answering -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2008, 08:33 AM
    I realize that you want to make this fly. The truth is that if this tenant follows your advice she may be found to be guilty of:

§ 92.334. Invalid Complaints and have to pay one months rent plus $500 to the Landlord. Including the Landlords court and Lawyers cost.
    What I want to do is make sure the tenant is aware of all their options. I don't believe this is an invalid complaint, but didn't and wouldn't advise the OP to take it to court.

The fact of the matter is, if a lease expires without either the landlord or tenant actively not renewing it, then it continues on a periodic basis. Another fact is that a landlord is under no obligation to renew and may terminate at expiration for any reason. Its my belief that a judge would consider retaliation to have occurred if a lease was not renewed after the tenant had made a complaint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounds to be used for shop sub panel [ 4 Answers ]

Have metal pole building about 80 feet from house. I intend to run 100 amp from house panel to sub panel in shop. Originally purchased a cutler hammer mail lug panel CH8L125SP for this use (on sale) but think I would rather have a 100 amp main breaker panel so as to use as single disconnect in...

Sharing neutral and grounds OK? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for clarification on sharing neutrals and grounds. When using 12/3 wire for home runs to panel , I believe it is OK to use the black for 1 circuit and the red for another circuit ( say black for plugs in a room and red for lights ). But is there a danger of overloading the neutral and...

Grounds and Neutrals under the same lug [ 3 Answers ]

Is it okay for a ground and a neutral wire to rest under the same lug in the main panel? If not, why? What are the potential dangers? Thanks in advance.

Sharing grounds between circuits. [ 7 Answers ]

My basic problem is that when I roughed in the wiring for the circuit that powers my smoke detectors, somehow I managed to use 14/2 between two of the boxes. Everything else was on 14/3 so I could inter-connect the alarms. Now, the last two aren't connected. So, I thought, why not use the ground...

Presses for coffee Grounds [ 4 Answers ]

What type of press do they use for drying coffee out at the coffee factories

View more questions Search