Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pfoss66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Executor of an estate
    My wife is executor of an estate left to her by her father. My (wife) is looking a piece of property to buy she was told by the trustee that it had to be looked at and approved by him before the funds would be released. As executor doesn't she have the control to sign a purchase agreement which binds a contract then request the funds?

I feel the trustee has too much control of the funds its like begging for crumbs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Why is there a trustee? If the funds are in a trust, the trustee trumps executor. The executor is generally just an admninistrator, charged with the responsibility for issuing funds from the estate. But a trustee is charged with managing those funds.
    pfoss66 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Trustee was assigned so she wouldn't spend it in a year.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoss66
    Trustee was assigned so she wouldn't spend it in a year.

Who requested the Trustee in order to conserve the money? The deceased? The Court?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Well that answers your question. If a trustee was assigned to assist the executor in managing this money then signing off on any major use of it makes sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executor of Estate and distribution [ 8 Answers ]

My father left me 90% of his Estate and his other sibling 10%. I am Executor of his trust as well as beneficiary on his bank accounts. The money he listed in his trust are not the same as his accounts. Is the other sibling only entitled to the amounts shown in his trust or by me being the...

Estate and Untrustworthy Executor [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there. My mother recently passed away and my (untrustworthy) sister propelled by a troublemaking brother in law is the executress of the estate. My mother left the house and its contents to her, and the rest is to be equally distributed among the remaining 5 children. I would guess (the estate...

Lawsuit by Executor of Estate [ 5 Answers ]

My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, etc. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Executor of estate/trust [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away recently. My mother has survived him but she is incapacitated. I am the executor of their estate/trust. It is a sizable estate and I would like to gift funds to my brothers and their families. My father appointed my mother as his power of attorney and never updated it. ...

View more questions Search