Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

May 19, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Spindle to handrail attachment
    Hello,
    I’m in the process of installing new deck handrails and went with the pre-cut for spindles type of railing. (They have square holes routered out to seat the spindle in) In theory I figured it would simply be a matter of installing the pre-cut rail on top and flip one over for the bottom to seat the spindles in both top and bottom. Once I actually saw the completed rail I became concerned about the fact that the bottom pieces have concave, over-sized spindle holes that are somewhat exposed to the elements. Won’t these collect water? Is that a problem? Are these pre cut handrails for use on the top only? Am I needlessly worried? Also, do the spindles need to be nailed into place or do the cut-outs keep them secure enough? Thanks for any helpful hints and advice. As I’m sure you’ve gathered, I’m a novice when it comes to construction of any type.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2008, 07:37 AM
    You have discovered a potential problem, water will collect. That top rail is only for the top. Most spindles are mounted a bit further out toward the edge and get nailed to the side of the perimeter board. Not sure how to salvage what you have since I would not have done it that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing MTD mower blade spindle [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 Y/O MTD riding mower. The spindles appear to have gotten rusty over the winter and don't turn freely (stored in a garden shed). I have already broken the belt due to the increased friction. I need to know how to remove the deck and if the spindles can be repaired or if they need to be...

Stairs - Missing Handrail [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a rental property and am in the processed of updating it myself. The front stairs are missing a handrail. Any ideas how I can make or get a cheap rail and install it myself? Thanks

Problem with spindle on MTD 42" mower [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bent spindle on my 600 series Yard Machine. It is not hard to get to but I have never taken one apart before. Can I just swap the spindle out for a new one and just re-pack the bearings? I believe the housing is OK, just the spindle is bent. What do I need to look for to make this...

HELP with construction of handrail and spindles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add 2x2x36 colonial spindles to a handrail... how do I.. 1.Attach these to the bottom and top rails so you can't see screws or nails and 2.What's the easiest way to attach these rails to the 4x4 posts? thanks folks for any help TommyP

Attachment [ 1 Answers ]

I was asked to attach the following to my state income tax return: "Form W-2s, Form 1099s, and statements from pass-through entities showing state income tax withheld". On my 1099-misc, there is only a number in box# 7, and there is no state income tax withheld, so I don't have to attach 1099-misc?...

View more questions Search