Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hagger110 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Rescue dogs
    We acquired a rescue dog (chihuahua), that is, a dog kept in its kennel all its life by a puppy mill. We were very concerned to discover the other day that the dog was eating its own feces. Apparently there are certain animals in the wild -- types of snowshoe hares for instance -- that re-cycle their droppings due to the extreme nature of the cold etc. in which they live, but have you ever heard of a domesticated dog doing so?

Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Feces eating is fairly common in younger dogs. It is more likely to sicken the owner than the dog unless you are fighting an infestation of worms. It is poorly understood just why dogs do it. Diet could be part of it. A puppy on the proper diet to maintain healthy growth rates may feel it needs more, and eat its or other dogs feces. Many of my puppies have started at about 4 months when I make the switch to adult chow. I usually am able to limit it by cleaning up the stools before they have a chance. Adding pineapple juice or canned pumpkin to the dogs diet should discourage it. There are also the commercial products, Forbid and Deter.

If most of your dog's calories are coming from a commercial dog chow, I would continue to feed it. You can either try the clean up routine or one of the additives I mentioned. Cleaning up doesn't work on the dogs that eat them immediately or when crated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

Pet or animal Rescue [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any others here that do any sort of animal rescue? If so what kind and where? I was just wondering because I read every one profile and I seem to be the only one that is involved in this. I currently am volunteering for an equine rescue and of course my piggies.

Rescue And Adopt A Dog Or Cat! Don't Buy One! [ 16 Answers ]

quote: originally posted by labman puppies are a lot of work. Often i try to convince people to adopt an older dog instead of buying a puppy. I see many questions, here and elsewhere, from people who would have been better off not buying a puppy. bravo labman! I agree with you 100%. I...

View more questions Search