Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldvil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 04:15 AM
    false drug screening
    I have been going to a pain man:mad: agement in ft.lauderdale fl. For nearly 2 1/2yrs no problems for desmois tumors, a cyst, and also cancer of the cecum, I wear a colostomy bag,I have just in the last few weeks been discharged from the hospital because of G.I. bleeding. I found out that the spicy foods I was eating was causing my bleeding. I don't use any drugs not presribed for me. I am a 53yr old disalbled veteran. I went into my pain management center, on Friday the 16th and was given a random urine test, that I had to pay for, THe test came out positive for cocaine, the medication that I receive from this Dr. office is oxycontin 80mg percocet tab 10/325 after those meds I don't need anything else , the office mgr [who's new, I never saw her before], told me I have a thin line reaction for cocaine. I do not want on any record anywhere saying anything about substances abuse, because it's a lie I don't use anything except whay my Dr's, give to me. First Question: I got three pints of blood during my stay in the hospital could this be a source? Second Question:what recourse do I have to clear my name? Also am I allowed a copy of my test, the reason I ask because this office has been in a lot of hot water lately, and Ive also been very friendly with the pretties nurses in the place, I don't want any problems just fair treatment.
    hopetonou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 06:07 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medical-science/oxycodone-false-negative-urine-test-393019.html look here maybe this will help a little.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ldvil View Post
    ... I went into my pain management center, on friday the 16th and was given a random urine test, that I had to pay for, THe test came out positive for cocaine, the medication that I recieve from this Dr. office is oxycontin 80mg percocet tab 10/325 after those meds I don't need anything else , the office mgr [who's new, I never saw her before], told me I have a thin line reaction for cocaine.... First Question: I got three pints of blood during my stay in the hospital could this be a source? Second Question:what recourse do I have to clear my name? Also am I allowed a copy of my test, the reason I ask because this office has been in a lot of hot water lately, and Ive also been very friendly with the pretties nurses in the place, I don't want any problems just fair treatment.
    Your description of the test combined with the statement of the office manager fits only an immunoassay (IA) test. IAs have an error rate from 5-25%. IAs must be confirmed by the more sensitive Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) test in order to be valid. In the event your sample was subsequently forwarded to a laboratory for the GC/MS confirmation it would have been negative. If it was not forwarded for confirmation the results cannot be used.

It would be prudent and consistent with your aims to write a brief and friendly note to the office manager expressing your concern about the test and asking that your note be made part of your medical record if the preliminary test results are recorded (they should not be).

If she is new, and new to the field, she may not be aware of the high error rates for IAs. But this happens all of the time, all across the country.

Finally, you certainly do have a right to a written record of any drug test that is administered.

The blood you received would not be the source. 99% that it was an errant screen.

Written communication, under these circumstances, is essential to protect your rights and to guard against future repercussions.

There are many other remedies available to you but I believe this will solve the problem w/o need for further action and keep your chances alive with the pretty nurse.

LATE NOTE: I neglected to mention that there are a limited number of non-narcotic prescriptions that have been known to cause a false positive for cocaine. Specifically, most antibiotics and particularly Amoxicillin and Ampicillin. In the non-drug class tonic water can cause a false positive. Any food or commodity that contains coca (not many around and usually have it in their name) can register. Finally, those suffering from diabetes or kidney disease can test positive for several drugs including cocaine. Don't know if this applies but worth mentioning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On court supervision and faild drug screening at rehab [ 5 Answers ]

I've been freeking out about this all day my rehab tyest came back positive for weed but the test results start counting at 20 for a positive reading and I was 21 how will this effect my court supervision... if you don't know what that is its like Probation, I actually have a PO but its like a four...

Where/How To Get Movie Screening Tickets [ 3 Answers ]

Where and how can I get tickets to a movie screening? I need some for the sex and the city movie for my girlfriend. I live in Tampa, Florida. Does anyone know a website or something like that? Thanks a lot

False positive on a drug test! [ 4 Answers ]

So my boyfriend is on probation and he failed his last drug test due to a poppy seed muffin... Now they are making him call in every day to see if he has to come in and take another one. His probation officer told him he is going to be on it until August 31, which is a major problem. It's a...

Tenant Screening [ 1 Answers ]

We are getting prepared to offer our condo for rent. I see that many LLs charge $30 for a credit check along with their tenant applications. Do most use an on-line tenant screening service? I’m dizzy from looking at all the agency offerings! At a minimum they supply a credit report. Prices increase...

View more questions Search