Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgreen511 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Adding new utility tub and washing machine drain
    I currently have my washing machine running into the floor drain in my basement. I would like to add a utility tub, and a washing machine drain pipe. About 16' away there is a drain line from the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. This line is ABS, and has a 1 1/2" cleanout with threaded cap. This cleanout is a sanitary tee on a vertical drain from the sink.

I plan to connect the new line to this cleanout, and plumb it with PVC, using a tee wye for the utility tub, and putting a trap and vertical pipe in for the washer. I've sketched it on the attached picture.

My questions are these:
    Is it bad to connect to this cleanout in the first place?
    Do I need to vent this new line with an AAV, and if so where (before or after the tub)?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 18, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Hey RGREEN:

As a plumber, I can't tie into a cleanout like you are proposing... period.

I would recommend that you cut a sanitary tee fitting into the vertical below the cleanout... but up to you.

I don't like 1.5" pipe for all these fixtures combined..and you may have issues once you connect all together....but won't know until you do...;)

Any chance you can see two inch pipe coming out of the ground...? It should be 2" coming out of the ground. If it is, I would cut into the pipe and run 2" over to the washing machine and then reduce to 1.5" pipe as go vertical to kitchen sink.

I would install the AAV right after the utility tub (between the vertical pipe to kitchen sink and utility tub... this way will act to vent both utility tub and washer when each is used individually).

And make it a WYE off the drain line to pick up the utility tub... or a TY, but NOT a sanitary T fitting (just to clarify).

Washer standpipe out of trap should be 30 inches, cleanout should be installed just prior to connecting into vertical kitchen drain pipe.

That's what I have for you now... let me know if need more... MARK

rgreen511 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 12:59 PM
    The ABS pipe coming down from the kitchen is a 2" pipe (about 2.5" OD). It has a 1.5" cleanout, with about 6-8" below it before it goes into the cast iron pipe on the floor.

The difficulty I see is adding a tee below the cleanout, as well as tying the ABS to the new PVC. I'll post a picture of the connection shortly.

Would a saddle connection such as this work? Is it to code?

PlumbingSupply.com - saddle tees and Clamp-It™ saddles

Also, the washer is a front-loader, so it does not discharge a very large amount of water, but I don't want to poorly install it for future owners either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing washing machine utility box [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to install a utility box in the wall for my washing machine to drain into instead of the sink next to machine. Can I just run my drain pipe straight into existing drainline running along the joists in floor. The main 4" vent is 20" from proposed work? Sorry about vagueness never...

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Washing machine drainage into utility sink overflows [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My dh and I are new, first-time, homeowners and we have encounter this problem on more than several occasions. We have a 1951 Cape, with a basement utility sink. The washing machine is set up to drain into the sink using a flexible rubbery hose that is placed over the side of the sink. The...

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Washing Machine backiong up into utility sink [ 6 Answers ]

:( Hi there! When we bought our house 3 years ago, I noticed that the sink would fill up with water when ever our washing machine drained... I just thought it was normal. :p But now I guess the clog has gotten so bad that yesterday when I did laundry the sink over flowed! :eek: The sink has...

View more questions Search