Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkwserv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Sewer P-trap for house main line
    Bought a 40 year old single story home in San Diego and we love it, except we get a sewer smell periodically outside (depending on weather, I guess). The smell is really bad. Had a plumbing come out and unclog a clog, and he mentioned maybe putting a P-trap on the our main line between the house & the city line. Is this OK to do for a home (not a modular home)? Please help us get fresh air!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Had a plumbing come out and unclog a clog, and he mentioned maybe putting a P-trap on the our main line between the house & the city line. Is this OK to do for a home
    He was referring to a running trap in the sewer line. Since the line's a closed system I don't that's going to stop your stinky situation. Since it comes an goes I would be more inclined to suppect the roof vents. They do make a vent cap called a "Odor Hog",(see image) Interested? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Main sewer line is backing up! [ 1 Answers ]

This the list of events so far. Three weeks ago, my wife flushed the toilet and the water came through the ceiling in the basement. I think that there is a blockage and rent a hand turn snake to snake the drain. After an afternoon filled with removing and replaceing a toilet and getting the snake...

Main sewer drain line [ 4 Answers ]

I busted up the floor in our basement to put in a bathroom. I was going to tie into the main drain line about 5 feet from the stack and replace the base of the stack. I also wanted to change the existing floor drain which ties in 5 feet further down the line. I busted it all out and the main drain...

Trap in sewer main [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cast iron sewer main in an older home. Just where it exits from under the house, it takes a 90 degree turn downward, then 180 back up, forming a trap. I've never heard of a trap in the main line. Is this normal? Will it lead to clogs? Seems that solids would tend to accumulate at the...

P-trap to outside sewer line [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing an above ground swimming pool and have been told by the city that we must install a permanent drain line / p-trap to the sewer lines. My husband called a plumber and thought he understood what he needed to do. Now the plumber has come to the house and said it is done all wrong...

View more questions Search