Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guitar10000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 01:09 AM
    New toilet replaced
    Need to put in a new toilet ,can you help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar10000
    need to put in a new toilet ,can you help.
    If you are replacing a two piece toilet right from the box, here's how you go about it. I assume you have pulled the old commode and cleaned up the wax seal. When you unpack your tank check the nuts on the flush valve and the ballcock. Sometimes the factory doesn't get them snug enough. Don't use too much muscle. Remember this is china and quite brittle. You can install two ways. You can assemble the tank and bowl and then set it or set the bowl and put the tank on after it's secured. The toilet is easier to handle if you set the bowl first. Put new closet bolts in the flange, now put the wax seal on the lip of the bowl and lower the bowl down on the closet bolts and flange. Now put a little weight on the bowl and give it a little twist back and forth to seat the wax seal. Now CAREFULLY tighten the closet bolts. When you think you have them tight enough try to twist the bowl. If it turns, it's too loose. Take the tank bolts and slide the black neoprene washers over them. Now put the spud washer on the flush valve and set the tank on the bowl. Put the tank bolts through the holes and begain to tighten them. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. The tank wants to have just a wee bit of give to it but not loose. It should not feel solid because if you lean back and there is no give you might crack at the tank bolts. Now hook up your supply,(you may have to get one of those flex supplys that you don't have to cut). Your water level wants to be about 1/2" below the overflow tube and the linkage on your flapper wants to have 1/4" of play in it when the flapper is seated. Saw off the closet bolts, install the caps and grout the base of the bowl with Dap. You have asked a one sentence question and got back a 10 page reply. Setting a stool can be a major hassle if you've never done it before. If you have more questions, I'm as close as a click. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. TOM
    Answer : One more item, If you have to snug up the flush lever in the tank, be advised that is has a left hand thread. Turning the nut clockwise will loosen it. There! I think I touched just about all the bases. Regards, TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Replaced wax seal on toilet, don't think it sealed [ 6 Answers ]

I replaced the wax seal and the flange that holds the soil line on my first floor toilet this weekend. When I put the toilet back on it didn't feel like I was pressuring the wax seal or squishing it (technical term). My wife reports there is an oder in the basement. After replacing the seal I...

Lead closet replaced by pvc closet on toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Plumber replaced a lead closet with a pvc closet and now the toilet doesn't line up the way it used to.. It is forward 2" and sideways about 1-1/2 " Plumber says that is the best he can do.. I don't believe that . Is there a way it can line up like before.

Should coil be replaced when AC is replaced? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old 3 ton AC unit on the roof. My house is about 1750 sq ft. Last year, the AC unit stopped working. It could never cool the house down once temperature shoots above 80. I had an AC company come by and added refrigerant thinking that's the problem. It seemed to get worse after the...

Replaced toilet seal now pipe clogg? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Having read through quite a few posts here I'm pretty sure its sounding like a clog but ill give you the info to see if you can confirm. I noticed the toilet started leaking from base and soon after started to actually sink on one side, after climbing under house (mobile home) , and seeing...

View more questions Search