Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tine Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Amended
    Could someone please explain exactly what "ammened" names are? Thank yoy.
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 25, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Do you mean amended? If so amended names is a name that was changed. An amendment is a change to something that was previously something else.

Feb 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
    So if I have a born name like Brandi D Allen and her amended names is Oke, what does that mean?

Feb 25, 2006, 04:51 PM
    All that means is that "Oke" was not the first name.. there was an amendment to the previous name.. whatever it might be. This can be Prince wanting to "amend" his name to "the artist" or you amended an adopted kid to have your name.. all amend means is replaced or added..

Feb 25, 2006, 04:55 PM
    So if an adoptee is looking for their real name (before they were adopted) would it be the Brandi Allen or Oke?

Feb 25, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Brandi Allen

Feb 25, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Got It! Thank You So Much Have A Gooooood Day

Feb 25, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Sorry, One more thing, So it is possible for the amended name to be a birth mothers maiden name, right?

Feb 25, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Well it all depends on the situation.. but if there was no father then by default the kid would get the mothers maiden name.. Or if the parents chose it to be that way.. so yes the first name anyone would have (not amended) would be their birth mothers maiden name or fathers name.

Feb 25, 2006, 10:15 PM
    I never thought about it that way. About my father I mean.

Feb 25, 2006, 10:18 PM
    You have been a really big help, thanks!

Feb 26, 2006, 09:48 AM
    No problem always willing to help
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2006, 06:23 PM
    An amended name is when the adoption is final and the child's last name is changed to the adopted families last name.

Mar 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Do they ever amend the mothers name?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Let me see if I can put a perspective on this. A person's name is actually ANYTHING THEY want to call themselves. As long as there is no intent to defraud, a person can call themselves whatever name they want.

A person's legal name is what's on their birth certificate except in the case where a change was requested and granted through a court. Generally, when an adoption occurs, the legal name is changed.

Now if you explain WHY you are asking these questions we might be able to help further.

Mar 7, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Yes actually that does help, a great deal. Thank You So Much! Well, Iam asking because Iam not too familiar with all the adoption laws. I know(now, thanks) that the majority of adoptees names are Amended, but I don't know if the Mothers(birth) were always amended too! Thank You.

Mar 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
    There would be no reason that I can see for a mother's birth name on a birth certificate to be changed. It might be expunged at the birth mother's request. The mother's name however, could have been changed subsequently for a couple of reasons. She could have remarried, multiple times. She could have gone to court for a legal name change.

As for adoptees names being changed, this can also vary. With very young children both the first and last names may have been changed by the adoption agreement. With older children, the last name may be changed but not the first name. With even older children (in their teens), They may continue to keep their birth names even though legally adopted by an adoptive or step parent.

Mar 8, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Hello again! Yes you have been a huge help. Thank you. Now at least I know SOMETHING. Still have no idea where to start, but now I have the meaning of amended. Thank You Again.

Mar 8, 2006, 12:14 AM
    Too bad there is not a Help Desk for Adoptees!

Mar 8, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Are we to assume that you are an adoptee looking for your birth parents? If so, there are many resources open to you. Go to google.com and search for searching for birth parents. You will find many resources to help you. There are some clearing houses where birth parents and adoptees can register among other resources.

Let me caution you on one point. Birth parents have a right to privacy. In many instances they do not want to be found or contacted. This is not to discourage you from searching because many want to be found. But you should approach any attempt at contact with caution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search