Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tine Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 11:22 AM
    You are so right! Everyone has a right to privacy, in fact I am a very private person.Well, except when it comes to this one subject. It is something I just HAVE TO KNOW!! ALL my life there has been a constant ache of needing to know "where I came from", especially now that I have children of my own. Not knowing, is like a continual empyness. Sometimes I just want it to go away.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2006, 11:41 AM
    I won't insult you by saying I understand what you are feeling. I don't think anyone who isn't in that situation themselves could truly understand. I have, in the past, spoken to a number of adoptees and birth parents on both sides of this issue. The Internet has been a boon to both adoptees and birth parents by providing central clearinghouses where they can list and search. Before the Internet, such a search was extremely difficult.

The only other thing I can say to you, is that, in my view, where you came from is not as important as where you are and where you are going. Its what you make of what life has handed you that defines who you are.

Mar 9, 2006, 12:17 AM
    Thank you so much!
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tine
    Do they ever ammend the mothers name?
    Yes the mother and fathers names are changed on the birth certificate.

Mar 15, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by weda_7526
    yes the mother and fathers names are changed on the birth certificate.
    Are you saying that, in case of an adoption, the parents names are changed? As far as I know a birth certificate is a legal document and can't be altered without verification.

To Tine,
    There is an advice column in my local paper that had a question today about adoption. The columnist mentioned a book; Lost and Found: The Adoption Experience by Betty Jean Lifton (Harper Perennial 1988). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...Fencoding=UTF8

From what the columnist said you might find it helpful to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 03:35 PM
    On a person who is adopted, the names are changed on the birth certificate showing the new adopted parents as the birth parents. All of the other information, hospital, date of birth, attending physciian are normally left the same. In the sealed court house records will be a copy of the original one with the real parents names on them.

But yes the birth certificate is alterd for anyone that is adopted.

And honestly on my personal one from the late 1950's they did not even do a very good job of it, looks like they put a piece of paper over the old name, make a photocopy and then typed in a new name. ** I know they did not have phtotocopy machine back then, so I don't know how they did it, but that is what it looks like.

If it did not have the raised seal from the court house, I would not believe it had not been faked myself.

Mar 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
    There may be differering rules for differing states and agencies. At one time my wife and I looked into adoption. What we were told is we would not get a birth certificate or copy of it. Instead the Adoption papers would act as a substitute.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 05:08 PM
    In today's age, I am sure they are having to re-issue birth certificates, I had that trouble originally when I wanted to join the military, I did not have a birth certificate and had to petition the state to issue me one.

They could not let me in on just my adoption papers.

And today adoption papers are not a listed approved ID for passports, or even a drivers licence in many states.

I know we are going though this issue with my mom, she does not have a birth certificate, and she got her drivers licence when they first started having them and it was just issued.

So now with the new rules, they have to have proof of identy to renew her drivers licence. ( her old licence is not good enough, they want a passport or birth certificate. But having been born in the 20's and at home, many times there were no birth certificates.

But yes birth certificates are a state issue item, there is no "national data base or issue of birth certficates ( I guess just give them time)
    So different states would do it different.

Mar 15, 2006, 09:15 PM
    THANK YOU ALL ! For taking the time to respond.Actually, you have all been a tremendous help! Thank you all, next time.Its just a little confusing sometimes.If you think of anything else, feel free. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search