Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seespotrun Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

May 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Voluntary Clicking in Ears?
    Hey - I just have a quick question about clicking in my ears.
    Let me first explain what the symptoms are - basically, any time I want I can kind of make a clicking noise in my ears by moving my jaw forward. It's kind of like trying to move the muscle where the jaw connects to your facial bones. Clicking my ears relieves the pressure that might be built up inside (like while I'm on an airplane or going high up in a car), which is actually pretty useful sometimes. There's nothing really that bothers me TOO much about the condition, it just clicks sometimes when I want it to. I don't think it's that rare of a problem, either - my cousin and some of my friends have the 'ability' to do so as well.
    There's one problem though - when I get sick with a flu or something similar, my ears get stuffed up and occasionally pressure builds inside that I can't clear. During these episodes my ears are very uncomfortable and I can't do the clicking thing to clear them. This happens just about every time I am sick with the flu.
    Well, I'm just curious as to what this condition actually is - and whether there's any kind of treatment or anything related with it. Thanks a lot for hearing me out, and I look forward to your reply!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 17, 2008, 08:59 PM
    I would get it checked out as soon as you can. It may be caused by an inner ear infection, or an excess wax build up. This used to happen to me, and incidentally my mother too. (I don't know if that is just coincidence) I didn't think it was a big deal at the time either, but it ended up causing hearing problems. I now have problems hearing when I'm in a large group of people, and other situations. I would get to your Dr. just to be on the safe side. :)

EDIT: I just thought of another thing it could be. I can't remember the name of it right now, but I'm sure a health prof will. (sorry, it's on the tip of my tongue) It is a condition where the jaw makes clicking noises just as you are describing, and you really do need to go and get it checked out. It isn't uncommon as far as I understand, but it definitely is something you need to have taken care of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary Repossssion of vehicle I don't want [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a brand new 05 compact car in 05... I currently owe around 10,000 still, I had 2 or 3 payments pushed back to the end of term. I let the insurance lapse for a couple months last year and my husband was in a wreck, he was at fault and there is damage to both drivers side doors, the car is...

John Deere L110 Clicking sound on start - new solenoid, still clicking! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I cut my lawn, engine was running for about 2 hours. Stopped at neighbors house, cold beer, go to restart, just a clicking sound. Thought battery was dead, did a quick check, good voltage, hooked it up to a charger, good amps. Still clicking. I figure it's the solenoid, picked one up...

Ears, ears, ears. When will it end? [ 28 Answers ]

Okay so for those of you that don't remember... Callie started scratching her ears, A lot. She wimpered every time she would scratch them. I bought some ear solution and cleaned her ears and it did not help. I finally took her to the Vet and the Vet said he could not find any signs of earmites...

Voluntary repossession [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a vehicle where the car was taken 30 minutes. Right after for overheating. The car was taken into the dealer several times for the same reasons. I told the dealer that I was going to return the vehicle if this happened again, which it did so I took the vehicle in and they kept it as a...

Question about a voluntary repo [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question, if a car is voluntarily repossessed, when the car is resold to someone at auction or wherever the amount I know left over is the responsibility of the person who voluntarily repo'd the vehicle, does this price include interest that was on the loan also or just the amount financed...

View more questions Search