Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostandfound Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Could it have been a factor?
    Who likes watching documentaries on the Titanic? I work with the history channel and Titanic's Final Moments is a new documentary that premiers tomorrow Sunday, February 26 on the History channel. They discovered some new things and the break and sink was more complex than anyone thought. You can get more information at www.history.com/titanic. If you watch it let me know what you think. Do you think that the ocean, waves, current, temperature (anything oceanography wise) could have been a factor in the sinking?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 09:44 PM
    I love to watch anything on the Titanic. Now we know a Rouge iceberg caused the sinking which could happen at most anytime. Don't you find it amazing that in all of that ocean, one rouge ice berg happened to be in the exact spot the ship was at the exact instant of the collision? I find it to be extreme fate. Nothing short of a miricle could change it. The one thing that really upsets me though, is that Mr Ballard, whom I respect beyond measure, did not claim the wreck. If only to keep the fortune hunters away. Mr. Ballard would never defile sacred ground for the gain of a dollor. I think that within 10years, the wreck will be a wreck due to the greedy scallywags scouring the hull for artifacts. It is a grave and should be left as such.:mad:
    P.S. Love the History channel!
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 5, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lostandfound
    Who likes watching documentaries on the Titanic? I work with the history channel and Titanic's Final Moments is a new documentary that premiers tomorrow Sunday, February 26 on the History channel. They discovered some new things and the break and sink was more complex than anyone thought. You can get more information at www.history.com/titanic. If you watch it let me know what you think. Do you think that the ocean, waves, current, temperature (anything oceanography wise) could have been a factor in the sinking?

The ocean itself can only be blamed for being too calm that night making the bergs more difficult to detect for lack of wave breakers. Apart from that there were the following factors.

The ship was traveling at breakneck speed in order to impress.
    The men assigned to search for icebergs had no binoculars.
    The ship's rudder was too small to make it turn fast enough.
    The angle at which the ship struck made the sinking inevitable.
    It would have perhaps been better to hit the berg head on.
    It seems to me that human error was the primary factor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

X-Factor 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the title of any of the music from X-Factor?

View more questions Search