Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    will_53115 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 06:30 AM
    3 Way switch from.
    I have hooked up a 3 way switch and cannot figure out why it is not working properly. Here is the way I hooked it up.

14-2 from panel to 3 Way switch. That same 3 Way switch then 14-3 to other 3 Way switch then 14-2 to light then 14-2 to another light.

The problem is that if the 3 Way switch attached to the power must be on or the other switch does not work. So if I have the first 3 way on the other 3 way can turn lights on and off. If the first switch is off the second switch does nothing!

Please Help!
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 17, 2008, 07:19 AM
    You simply have it wired wrong.
    As long as you make sure the travelers are correct it will work.

The travelers are the ones connected to the two gold screws on each 3-way switch.
    In your case you MUST use the black and red of the 14/3 as your travelers since the white is a neutral.

Here:
    will_53115 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Thanks stanfortyman

I assume I am correct in grounding to the fourth (green) screw on the 3 Way switches?

May 17, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Yes you are. :)
    son Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Normally we run the power to lite box the black wire goes to the black wire to the first switch the power white wire goes to the lite white wire. The white wire from the first switch goes to the second switch. The red wire connects the two switchs. The black wire from the second switch goes to black wire on the lite. And if you are adding a second lite the wire will connect to the black an white wire of the first lite. Ihope this helps.

May 17, 2008, 09:12 AM
    son, I'm sorry man. I have NO idea what you just wrote. :confused:

There is no "normally" when wiring a 3-way. Given the choice, I run the feed to the switch box just as in Will's situation. No matter how it is wired it can always be made to work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

From an Email: ''Dear asklabman, I am a first time house ownere & having an issue with my Honeywell T8112 Programmable Thermostat. Thermostat has two switches for the fan - AUTO FAN & FAN ON switches and three switches for thes system, COOL, HEAT & System OFF modes. Yesterday we turned ON...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Gurus, I am a new house owner & not used to thermostats. We have Honeywell 8112D thermostat. We recently turned ON our Fan switch (in the thermostat). Now the fan is not turning off. It is continuously running even when the system is in OFF & Fan is in AUTO mode. We tried reducing the...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

View more questions Search