Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mschaeffer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 10:33 PM
    Can you translate the latin phrase "Dum tacet clamat"
    I found the latin phrase "Dum tacet clamat" on a gravestone in San Diego. Can anyone translate it into English for me?:confused:
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
    I believe it means ""Though silent, he speaks".
    kraes92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 10:37 PM
    I took Latin for four years. ^You're close. Literally it's "While he is silent, he yells." I figure it's probably best if clamat is translated as "speaks" though.
    cmh1018 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 12:28 PM
    From the WOW Rituals 1897 edition it says it means "Though Silent he Claims." The only version that shows this apparently is the Original Version of the Rituals.
    nutmegred725 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Check out this website: http://hughgrahamcreative.com/2007/04/03/dum-tacet-clamat/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you translate "Respect" in Sanskrit? [ 5 Answers ]

How do you translate Respect?

The phrase - "Hither twice". [ 2 Answers ]

This is a strange trend I've been noticing around my friends lately - saying "hither twice". It's used as a kind of "I agree". Such as: Bob: Do you want to go to the café? John: Hither twice! Now I, myself, use this. But I was wondering, where does this come from? I've never heard it used...

Latin translation for "Friends, we've lost a day." [ 3 Answers ]

"Friends, we've lost a day." to indicate that the group has wasted time

What is the origin of the phrase "Press Charges"? [ 1 Answers ]

I am reading a book by C.J. Sansom called Dark Fire. In the book, there is a description of 1540's English criminal justice system. "When she is brought into court, she will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty. If she refuses the under the law she cannot be tried by a jury. But the...

Meaning of phrase "in-house vendor" ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I noticed the following phrase on some newspaper: "in-house vendor". I'm not an English, and I have look for these words in the dictionary. The dictionaries tell me that "in-house" means make by ourselves Vendor means someone who selling something But, what is the whole phrase...

View more questions Search