Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Evict family who paid rent a couple time
    I let my brother stay with us about 6 years ago. He was to pay rent if he could $200 a month. He paid maybe 3 times in the time he has been here. There were a few rules that he was to obey.
    1. no smoking in the house
    2. no open flames, candles unless there was a power outage and you needed to be in the room with the candles lit.
    3. no illegal substance of any kind or breaking the law.
    4. if make a mess or use any dishes you clean them up.

He is smoking in the bedroom he sleeps in. He had acquired 3 large dogs, he did not ask if you could have. They are now smelling my house up. He is bringing cars over that do not run, he used to fix and sell them. I now have 4 cars that he owens in front of or in the driveway of my home that belong to him, only one of them runs. The vehicles do not have current registration on them. The neighbors have called more than once on all the cars in front of my house. I want him out and have asked him to leave. I first told him the things he needed to do to stay for a while, list below
    1. he was to go down and get signed up for low income housing by the end of the week
    2. he was to build a dog house for his dogs and they were not to be allowed in the house any more. He was to have a week to do that in.
    3. He was to go out side either in the front or back yard to smoke, starting now.
    4. He had at least a month to fix and get rid of all but one car running.
    He told me he would be out by the end of the week, that was Feb. 8,2008. I wrote him a letter in beginning of March reminding him of our conversation and letting him know that he had until the end of April to move out. He threw the note on the ground. The last Tuesday of April I reminded him that he was to be moved out by Thursday. He told me he was not going. I asked if he wanted me to call the police and he said go a head. What can I do to get him out as peacefully as possible?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I doubt the Police will be helpful because he lives with you, he's legally not an intruder.

You will have to evict him. The procedure varies by State so if you come back with the State, someone (me included) will let you know how to proceed.

You cannot evict him for non-payment of rent (although you can try) because you had a "pay when you can" agreement and I'm sure he's going to say he can't. You CAN evict him on the rest of the problems because you had an oral agreement which he violated.

(On a non-legal note: he seems to have no sense that you are helping him out. Wait until he actually has to pay rent!)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 06:47 PM
    You will have to give him a 30 day notice to move. The police will not do anything, give him a notice to move, if he does not move, take him to housing court
    puka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Eviction California
    This is in response to the answer as to where I live. I live in California, how do I go about getting him out. I guess I mean evict him. I don't want that trouble, because he might get violent and vindictive. I need also to know how to do a restraining order against him, temporary and permanent. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Puka
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2008, 08:15 AM
    I merged your two threads. Please don't start a new thread with follow-up information. Use the Answer This Question or Quick Reply options.

I would suggest getting an attorney. There are links to state laws at the top of this forum so you can find out the details of the eviction process. Or you can ask at your local courthouse.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by puka
    This is in response to the answer as to where I live. I live in California, how do I go about getting him out. I guess I mean evict him. I don't want that trouble, because he might get violent and vindictive. I need also to know how to do a restraining order against him, temporary and permanent. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Puka

You go to the Police with your evidence that he is violent and abusive and ASK for a restraining order - they will point you in the right direction. I say to go to the Police because often you need Police Report documentation before the Court will schedule a Hearing.

As far as eviction - he needs to be legally evicted. No way around that. In some areas eviction does NOT automatically follow a restraining order so you would have to look at that angle.

There is no easy way out - and I'm not aware of any place that issues PERMANENT restraining orders. You'll get a temporary (x number of days) followed by renewals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my landlord evict me because I got behind on rent because of workcomp injury [ 7 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 10 day notice to pay or leave .I got behind on my rent because of missing 2 weeks of work at the end of October that lead to November .I had agreement to pay extra amonth till I got caught up.My rent is 425.00 a month and I have giving him 500-550 a mont since end of December....

How do I evict a child not paying rent [ 3 Answers ]

I have an18 year old daughter who is not paying rent, suppose to be doing Butler Tech Online for high school, has no drivers licence, no job, has been very disrespectful (swearing and such) at me. She does nothing to help around the house and lives like a pig in her room. She is hard of hearing...

Is it safe to rent a house to a couple with an infant? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I am trying to rent a house and I am really skeptical about renting it to couples with an infant(s). I am afraid that they will not pay the rent, and then, since they have an infant, it will be kind of hard to evict them. Does the law protects them or does it treat them like...

Paid 50% of home mortgage titled to my fiance' - now he wants to evict me - is legal? [ 5 Answers ]

My fiance' purchased a home (the title and mortgage are on his name ONLY) and I have been paying 50% of mortgage, upkeeping expenses and home improvements (I have bank statements and receipts) since day 1 - for about 1.5 years. He now broke up the engagement, and he is asking me to conribute to...

Can We Evict Immediately if They've NEVER Paid Rent? [ 24 Answers ]

We recently agreed to rent a house to some people. We signed the lease agreement, but the renters weren't given the lease or a copy because they haven't paid the first month's rent yet. Can we evict them without notice? They have been there for two weeks and have paid nothing, not to mention...

View more questions Search