Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halelf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Should we step in and support queen feeding kittens
    Hi

We have 6 thriving kittens 23 days old. We have noticed a couple of her teats are sore through vigorous feeding of the kittens. She also seems to be jumping out of the box mid way through feeding. Looks like they are hurting her whilst feeding with there little teeth. Today we have only seen her feed them once. We are getting ready to start weaning them but would it be advisable to help the queen with some bottle feeding? They seem to be happy and not crying. Any advise?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Mom cat knows what to do, I wouldn't intervene. She will wean them her way without your help. It is best to let her do her thing. When she rejects them from her nipples you could introduce them to saucers of milk with a little bread mixed in. My kittens always enjoyed that. Then of course buy kitten food for them. They know what to do. If you are still unsure just Google the information. There is a wealth of this type of information on the net nowadays.
    halelf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Many Thanks for the reply.

I did mush up some kitten food with Kitten milk today for them which they all looked at stood in and generally made a mess of lol. A couple of them seemed to tuck in a bit and Mum cat also checked it out and tasted it like she was checking we where doing it okay. Looks like weaning as started sooner then I expected.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
    See, everything will work out right, trust their instincts. I always found they liked evaporated milk, which was always around and handy from the pantry. It has everything they need for a good start but not necessarily good for adult cats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent child support? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am married and live in Michigan with my wife and her 2 children from a prior marriage and 1 of our own. Her ex-husband refuses to pay her child support and as soon as the order went through for child support 9 years ago, quit his job and became "self-employed". He is currently going...

Feeding kittens [ 1 Answers ]

When and what should I feed my cats kittens?

Diet/Feeding for kittens [ 1 Answers ]

I have three male kittens that are now ten months old. I've been feeding the boys quite a lot and when they were weighed at the vets yesterday for deworming meds they were 11, 9.4 & 9.1 pounds. Is this too much for that age? Their dad (feral tom who hangs around outside is a pretty big fella,...

Support from Step Parent? [ 1 Answers ]

My husbands ex wife is looking for a way to get child support based on our combined income as a married couple. Is that possible? Right now we pay her child support on time, every month based on his $85K salary. She works less than 20 hrs a week and lives with her parents. I am waiting to hear...

View more questions Search