Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Ground Squirrels are digging holes all over my yard
    Ground Squirrels are digging holes all over my yard and it looks really bad. I've heard theses rodents are bad to have around because of fleas and other diseases. I have to convince my HOA to do something about them so I need some good ammo to go to them with. Any thoughts on why they should take care of them?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Black and brown squirrels are a way of life where I live. We put up ith their shennanigans. I don't think you are allowed to dispose of them in any way shape or form. You can't poison them because other animals eat them and the poison is passed on down the food chain. I guess you are stuck the same as a lot of other people. As for guns and even pellet guns, not an option either with gun control going on.
    diedonner Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Consider getting to the root cause: the food source in your lawn. An application or two of grub killer should take care of it and the squirrels will move along to where there's a better meal.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
    diedonner (and hopefully it has nothing to do with Santa and Reindeers) has a good suggestion. Find out why they are targeting YOU, and then go from there.

They make me mad too and as tick said, you can't or don't really want to kill them, discourage them.:)
    Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post

They make me mad too and as tick said, you can't or don't really want to kill them, discourage them.:)
    I was being kind in that old thread, but really my animals keep them out of the back yard. My cat goes after them, as well as dog. I will refuse to have an accident by avoiding squirrel running across the road and I know for sure I have run over some. It is just too difficult to avoid them. Black squirrels, you may not know, were imported from Russia at the turn of the century, so are not indigenous to North American, as are rthe gray squirrels.

Quite frankly, if I had a sling shot from my sundeck, I would aim at some, just so it keeps them away from my BlueJay Feed, as well as for other birds.

Sorry, Dahlia...

Tick
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Well Crap! I saw you answered and didn't know it was an old thread.
    diedonner Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2009, 08:03 PM

Hi all again,
    Dahlia I didn't notice it was an old thread either when I answered! Lol
    Sometimes I feel like tickle does, especially when the squirrels got into my attic a couple years ago. I could hear their little feet scurrying around over my head one morning as I was waking up. I wanted to get a gun and blast them out but my senses returned so I had a one-way (out) trapdoor installed over their entry point instead, then sealed up the little hole they got in through after they were gone. They were gone in a day!

PS very cute but no, nothing to do with Santa and his reindeer!
    Tarponman Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2009, 06:48 AM

I live in Florida, and we are over-run with squirrals. My only suggestion, which I have done many times, is get a "Have-a-heart" trap. This trap will not injure them and you can either get one from your local animal SPCA, Control Shelter, or rent them from a Pest Control. I simply bait the trap with a little peanut butter, they come in an are trapped- then I transport them MILES away, and release in the woods, not on private land. If you take them a mile or so, they will find their way back. This cuts down on the population, but will never rid them totally. You could shoot them, or have some else dispose of them, but my heart is to big to do it that way. Good Luck!
    Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 11:40 AM

It is great to have all this extra input, but it is an old thread from last year and the squirrels have probably ran for cover by now.

Tick
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
    The wheels are in motion tick...

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Squirrels getting into attic [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, we have squirrels getting into our attic. My husband has repaired their holes several times and they just chew a hole in another place in the eave of the house. They have chewed our phone line into. Now one has tried to chew their way into the ceiling of one of the guess bedrooms. We bought...

Squirrels in my attack [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get rid of squirrels in my attic? I know that they came in the side air vents and are nesting in there. What's the best way to get rid of them. I am OK with it if they die in the process.

How to stop your dog from digging holes? [ 3 Answers ]

I've adopted a dog a few months ago, he started digging holes like crazy, now my backyard is like a dirt yard :S. We couldn't get gardening people to fix it, because it was getting cold, it was raining all the time, and now it's snowing all the time. It's just not the best season to get your...

How do I get rid of squirrels? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with squirrels. They have eaten my tomatoes, flowers, and carved pumpkins. I need a safe way that won't harm any other animals (my neighbor's dog is known to attack squirrels), so antifreeze is kind of out of the question. They even go into my garbage and rummage through that.

Ground squirrels in dryer [ 5 Answers ]

Thought the cat was downstairs playing with some paper. An hour later still. An hour and a half later still... I knew there was a problem. Went downstairs and stood in front of the dryer and heard a scratching sound. Knew right away what it was, since I'd seen the cat chase a ground squirrel...

View more questions Search