Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foulsmell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 02:25 AM
    Stinky sewage gas in bathroom
    We recently remodeled an older home including installing 2 new bathrooms, drains and vents. Each drain has a vent going into the attic, which join together to one pipe that vents out through the roof.

I have noticed in the past couple days the smell of sewage gas increasingly becoming more unpleasant from the main bath. We don't have a vanity installed in that bathroom as of yet (but have duct taped off the drain), nor do we have any fixtures (shower, toilet or sink) installed in the adjacent master bathroom - which by the way, doesn't smell in the least.

I asked my husband and he did install a wax ring in the (smelly) bathroom toilet. Why does it stink? Is it a vent or drain problem?

Also, don't know if this is related or not, but the smelly bathroom shower water has a strong gas smell when I first turn it on. Any answers on this? Are the two related?
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

May 16, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Hi, I recently installed a toilet into a basement area that had been pre-designed. The toilet in the basement is the lowest bathroom for our house. I have noticed on occasion that the toilet will vent gases from the septic system. I really notice it when I use the laundry washer which is on the next level up from the basement and for some reason the washer draining will suck the water out of the lower toilet allowing gases to escape up threw the toilet in the basement. I'm hoping someone on this site may address that for me also. I also noticed the shower smell when we finally moved into our house. We had a water heater and it was turned on before we moved in and caused the water to become smelly when we first started to use it. The smell did go away after we started using the hot water heater. Ace.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Ace you can have your own post and should click on ASK because your situation is different. For now I am staying with foulsmells situation. OK foulsmell can you tell us a bit more such as was a permit pulled from the building department and was the job inspected, who did the rough in? Have you also sealed the tub/shower drain in the offending room?
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

May 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Ace you can have your own post and should click on ASK because your situation is different. For now I am staying with foulsmells situation. OK foulsmell can you tell us a bit more such as was a permit pulled from the building department and was the job inspected, who did the rough in? Have you also sealed the tub/shower drain in the offending room?
    Thanks. I thought it might be the same situation. I'll follow on reading what you recommend here for this situation, then I'll submit my post. Appreciate the help. Ace
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Ace, check your vent stack from that basement area, its clogged, that gas should have gone up the vent not into the room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We have two bathrooms and both toilets clog a lot, and the two sinks and showers drains are slow. Kitchen drain is fine. This all started when one of the toilets over flowed and a lot of water got on the floor. We have laminate flooring in the bathroom that we just had installed about 6 months...

Stinky bathroom [ 8 Answers ]

We have recently moved into a two year old home. I was so excited about the move because our other house had a stinky bathroom. I called every plumber in town and they all thought I was crazy. There were not leaks of any kind and they found no problems what so ever except I had a stinky...

Standing stinky water in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

In my bathroom sink there is standing water- but only below the stopper. The water drains a bit slow but doesn't back up at all. I have cleared all debris and flushed the drain with a Drano type cleaner and it didn't help at all. The worst part is that the water smells aweful. What is your...

Stinky bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my bathroom stink now that we just replaced the toilet?

Another stinky bathroom question [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to the forums here and to home improvement. My husband and I just bought our first "fixer upper". So far it's been a learn as you go process. Anyway we have a ranch with a downstairs half bath that has a horrible smell coming from it but only some of the time. I got some advice and have...

View more questions Search