Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junebug82644 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Water shut-off for toilet
    Hi again. I'm looking for more answers. I've started work on my daughter's bathroom and found out that there is no shut-off from her incoming water supply to the toilet tank. Is there an easy way to install one? If I have to, I guess I could tear out the wall or floor since we plan on putting additional support around the toilet bowl. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Junebug
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 01:17 AM
    (Question moved from Introductions to more appropriate topic area in order to get the most exposure to those best able to answer the question. Introductions is for introducing yourself and we try not to ask questions there. Thank you!)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 06:32 AM
    It really depends on how much pipe is exposed and how pretty you want it to look.

The angle stops (shut off valve) comes in many flavors. You want the toilet side to be 3/8 compression. Supply tubes (from valve to toilet) can be purchased.

Estucheon plates are used to cover the opening in the wall. You probably already have one. They come in a bell or flat variety.

Now the choices on the wall side:

1. A 5/8 compression fitting (This is for 1/2" tubing)
    Leaves copper pipe exposed, easy to change, can use flat estucion plates

2. Sweat extension tube angle stop
    Have to know how to use a torch, bell estuchion, estucheon not easily replaced

2. Sweat angle stop
    Copper exposed, can use flat estucheon, estucheon easily replaced

3. 3/8 NPT angle stop with 3/8 chrome plated pipe
    This is the most complex and the most versatile.
    The BEST way is to place a 1/2 sweat to 3/8 elbow with mounting ears in the wall securely fastened.
    The pipe is screwed into the fitting and the stop into it. A flat estucheon can be used here.
    There are other variations like placing a 1/2 sweat to 3/8 female adapter close to the wall and hiding it in a bell estucheon. This can be done if the pipes move in the wall.

Teflon tape and/or pipe dope can be used for the threaded fittings, but not for the compresson fittings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Shut Off Valve [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings, After shutting off the water to the Toilet to fix something, the shutoff valve now leaks. I tried to tighten the packing nut - no luck - the pipe was starting to turn and I didn't want to break the pipe behind the wall. So... I unscrewed the packing nut and went shopping for a new...

Toilet water supply won't shut off. [ 7 Answers ]

OK... so my problem started SEVERAL months ago. First, the valve that controls the fill line in the tank stopped functioning and my tank would continually overflow and the water would get to where it would leak through the flusher handle hole of the tank onto the floor. This part was a...

Toilet water shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

My shut off valve to the toilet will not shut the water off and water is leaking from the tank bolts? Can anyone help with the answer to both questions? Thanks

Toilet water supply won't completely shut off [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing the innards of my toilet tank (flush valve, etc.). I disconnected the water supply line and can't get it to shut off completely. There is a constant trickle to the point that I have shut off the main supply. I don't know how long the repair will take and I would like...

Water in toilet does not shut off when tank is full [ 2 Answers ]

My husband fixed ( hahaha) my toilet about a year ago and ever since then the water does not shut off once the tank is full. Is something set up wrong? I am having to turn on the water at the main valve, fill up the tank, flush, then turn water back off every time I use the toilet. Please help me.

View more questions Search