Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ceasefire Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Is suicide an unforgivable sin?
    According to Christian beliefs, is suicide an unforgivable sin? Does it guarantee eternal separation from Jesus Christ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
    That's what is believed. Think about it, by committing suicide you are taking away the life that God gave you.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Suicide is throwing the gift that God gave us of life back in his face and saying we do not want it.

Each day is a miracle and every creation is a miracle. It is up to God when it is our time to go.

So is it an unforgivable sin according to the teachings in Christianity the answer is yes.

May 15, 2008, 07:29 PM
    What about choosing to discontinue your own life-support while in the hospital? Is that a form of suicide?
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Medical technology and the gift of knowledge to doctors to help save our lives. Where do you think those gifts come from. From God, We all have that debate on where to draw the line and it is up to each individual to determine what the line is. Life is life, and if it can be maintained and saved through technology and we deny that gift. That is a tough call. I have often thought of not wanting to continue on life support if that ever happened, but as you state. It is a form of suicide?? Depending on your beliefs.
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasefire
    What about choosing to discontinue your own life-support while in the hospital? Is that a form of suicide?
    Usually a person on life-support is not conscious, therefore they are not the ones that will request to discontinue life-support, that is up to the family.

When my mom was dying of cancer she signed a DNR (Do not resuscitate) she wanted to go when God chose, not when man chose.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Well the real problem is that you can't normally ask forgiveness from the sin. So if you live to ask forgiveness you did not do it.
    I would have to assume, since we don't know Gods mind, that if a person is doing a long death and during that death they ask forgiveness they would be forgiven,

But for most people who kill thierself they are also not mentally sane, so I do believe God may also not hold a person responsible if they are at a poiont in their life where they are not sane, They could only be judged by their choices before that point.

Life support, pulling the plug , as they say is not, since you are actually giving the choice to God, While medical care is great and we should use it, when and if it comes to a point where the person is really not alive, merely keepoing a heart beating is not alive, it may be on the law books but it is not real living.

May 15, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Is living with severe depression comparable to the descriptions of eternity in hell? What would you say to someone who has severe depression, is contemplating suicide, and all they can think about is how hell can't be this bad or is just as bad?
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2008, 08:21 PM
    I would do my best to see that they get the help they need and deserve. There are lots of treatments for depression, tons of medications, therapies and other things that have been proven to work. Depression is a horrible thing, I know, I've been there, I'm on medication and trying to work through the things that I know are causing the depression, it's a long road, but one worth travelling.

We are all here for a reason, we all have a purpose, God has a plan for every one of us, who are we to mess with that plan?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 04:04 AM
    1. All sin is forgivable.
    We cannot know whether the person repented before s/he actually died.

2. Acts due to mental illness - and other circumstances - may indicate that the act is not "sin".

We cannot know the details so should not necessarily presume that one who commits suicide has died "in sin".
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

May 16, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Fr Chuck and Rick J make great points and it is what I believe too for a couple of reasons.
    I don't think I have ever seen or heard a case of suicide in which the person was in their "right" mind when they did it. They are depressed, which greatly alters our perception on things, especially life. They may be delusional from a mental illness. There are a multitude of mental illnesses, great and small, that has the capability to help someone along to commit suicide when they normally wouldn't in different circumstances.

I don't think it's the place of any of us to say someone who commits suicide is going to hell. God knows our hearts and minds. Because He is the only one with this knowledge and because He is just, He is the only one who has say on where He will place one who takes their life.

The other part of this is that for someone to say that a saved person who commits suicide will go to hell, is like saying Jesus' death isn't good enough.

I don't usually like to say onced saved always saved because people tend to jump the gun and ASSUME when that is said it means we can do what we wish. This is of course not so. Someone who truly wants, asks for and receives salvation is not doing it with the intentions of thinking they can do what they want and still go to heaven.

But even when we are saved our flesh is still weak, that is the whole reason for sinless Jesus' death. When we are first saved we are as infants in Christ. We must learn so as to grow and mature spiritually. With salvation it is the Holy Spirit which makes us righteous for heaven, not our being. It makes a whole lot of sense why it is this way. Because even the saved still sin, therefore it isn't us that is righteous, it is the washing by Jesus' blood which clenses our soul for the Holy Spirit to dwell FOREVER that makes us righteous.

This is what Paul says in Romans 8:10 & 11, "And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."

Once we are saved we are eternally secure. There are numerous passages in the Bible which tells us of our eternal life upon salvation but I have yet to see one which says God will take that eternal life away from you after you are saved.

Romans 8:35-39, "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep for slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

And I believe in this whole heartedly. When someone kills themselves it is not for funsies. There is a reason, there is some type of tribulation or peril they are going through that brings them to this point. If that person is saved by God's grace I do not believe their sin of taking their own life will send them to hell. If it could then Jesus' death would not be good enough to overcome the person's moment of weakness and sin. That will never be the case... EVER!! This isn't simply for people who take their life. If you are truly saved, meaning the moment you asked for salvation it was honest and sincere, with every and all intentions of doing your best for God... then NEVER will your eternal life be taken from you. Even if you hit a rough patch in your life and backslide, even if you sinned before your death, be it by God or by your own hand. It is NOT you which is righteous by your actions... It is the Holy Spirit of God which dwells in you that makes you righteous! And because of that your salvation will NEVER be taken from you. No sin has the power to take the Salvation God gave you through Jesus Christ away from you! It is ridiculous to think otherwise!
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

May 16, 2008, 09:53 AM
    I believe there is only one sin that unfogivable and that is refusing to believe in jesus criest. Ut suicide is not unforgivable sin, I believe it is a sin so we shouldn't do it, and like another persons said you are taking away the life that god gave you. So if you are considering please don't
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

May 16, 2008, 04:51 PM
    It is foolish to take a chance on something so ultimately important as your eternal destiny. Depression is bad, but that too will pass. Someone correctly said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Hell is forever.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasefire
    According to Christian beliefs, is suicide an unforgivable sin? Does it guarantee eternal separation from Jesus Christ?
    That depends on whether the person was in his right mind when he did it:

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

But...

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2325 Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    KimberlyB Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
    My mother committed suicide. So I have always wondered. The bible actually doesn't say anything about going to hell if you kill yourself. Personally I think that you have to take into account the state of mind of the person who does it. If they are a christian and believe in Jesus as their Lord and Savior I think that they will go to heaven. Their reward as its labeled will just not be as great. I hope that helps
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 16, 2008, 08:51 PM
    If you are sane enough to ask the question then you are not mentally disturbed beyond reasonable thinking. If you commit suicide then you are choosing to separate yourself from God. Nothing can separate us from God meaning there is no power great enough to conquer God's love for us it does not mean you can do whatever you want and expect to not be separated from God. Only you can chose to separate yourself from God. If you kill yourself you are saying "God you are not strong enough to get me through whatever terrible situation I am in, therefor I will do it for you and take myself out of this situation". You are making that choice and choosing to do it on your own without God. You are also commanded not to commit murder, wouldn't that be murdering yourself? Be careful what you think is okay to interpret from the Word of God. Yes, God will always love you sinner or saint. No, nothing can stop that. But yes, God will allow us to chose our own paths and if we chose to live or die without Him, He will allow us to do that. He does not punish us by "sending us to Hell". We chose to send ourselves to hell. Hell was created for Satan and his fallen angels not us. We chose to live eternity with or without God He does not chose that for us. So if you say you are a Christian then how can you justify ending your life without Him? Suicide is not choosing to live in God's will it is choosing to live outside God's will. So, you will die without Him and live in eternity the same way.

As far as life support... if you have to remain on life support and machines are the only thing keeping you alive it is not necessarily God's hand that is continuing your life is it? It is man's. If you are removed from life support and die you will live eternity with or without God depending on how you chose to live your life before that happened, with God or without Him. And if you chose to remain on life support God will still decide if it is successful or not. We may use the assistance of technology given to us through God but not to play or be God. God does not punish us for using what He gave us, medical technology. He gave that knowledge to us, so we may use it. But ultimately it will be His choice if it is successful for us. If you are a Christian and die then He is calling you home. If you aren't and you die then God knew you would never chose to live in the truth and accept Christ and would allow you to chose to live in eternity without Him. God can use even the evil of satan through the people who even He knows will never chose Him to lead others to Him. So God even saves the lives of those He know will never chose Him.

What I mean by that is if a doctor tells you that you need surgery to live and whether you chose to have it or not to have the surgery God's Will will still be done. You may live you may not it is up to Him. If you died, that was God's will. If you lived, that was God's will.

God does not tell us anywhere in the Bible EVER to kill ourselves when life gets rough. He says He will never give us more than we can bare. He says that because He is always with us, if we chose Him then we can get through anything no matter how painful. No power, force or situation can separate us from Him only we can separate us from Him. Choosing to fix our situation for God is choosing to separate ourselves from God.

May 17, 2008, 12:21 PM
    You know thanks for the greenie Jesushelper... however, I am going to have to admit I have come to the realization that I am incorrect. It was pointed out to me that there is only one "unforgivable sin" (and I knew this) and committing suicide isn't it. It is biblical and makes complete sense... this explains it better than I could... If a Christian Commits Suicide, Is He Still Forgiven.

How good is our God! That He forgives us everything! I need to remember that more.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 12:27 PM
    We all have things to learn. I am going to take a series look at what you posted. I gave you a greenie because I think your post was great. I just feel that certain things do separate ourselves from God. We all have our own thoughts but we are told not to kill. Should that not apply to ourselves as one of the commandments. Then again, we can still be forgiven for breaking the commandments, right?

May 17, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I did too. :( But we have to go by what is biblical/scriptural. We are also told not to lie but no one really thinks that we will go to hell just because we lie right? Well a sin is a sin in God's eyes. So, if we fear hell for murder we should fear it for EVERY sin and we sin more than we can even keep track.

But that isn't what He said in His Word and God is true to His Word. :) He said ALL sins, those past and those to come are FORGIVEN upon salvation. He knew all the sins we would commit no matter how awful. He did not say salvation is yours and you are forgiven and washed clean by the Blood of The Lamb except if you commit murder, or homosexuality, or tell a lie, or commit suicide, etc. He only listed one exception, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 12:37 PM
    The question now becomes. What exactly is blasphemy of the Holy spirit? Is it denying Jesus or life or both? OR am I just confusing the issue?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Suicide [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: Now don't go getting all soppy on me. I ain't about to cash in my chips any time soon. However, I DO want to be the one who decides when the time is right. Why shouldn't I be able to? I'm talking about doing this when my body tells me it's time, not because I'm depressed. Or,...

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Suicide [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I just read about this poor 85 year old lady who has lost control over her own life. What an undignified way to go! I wouldn't want to end it that way - and I'm not going to. I'll decide when it's over. Tell me why I should end up crapping in my pants. Do you crap your pants? ...

Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin [ 20 Answers ]

Hi I was in church a few weeks ago and they where talking about the Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin ! Now I have my own view's on this but would be intrested to hear other people's view regards this, do you agree yes or no that there is such a sin! "...an eternal sin... never forgiven."...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search