Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ticknlo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Capital Gains Tax
    I am in the process of selling some dirt (125K Worth) off a piece of land that has been in my family for some time. It is a one time deal that came around by accident. Is it earned income or can it be considered capital gains?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
    It's certainly not earned income. You aren't in the business of buying and selling dirt. It's personal property and a capital asset and therefore is a capital gain.

Publication 544 (2007), Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2008, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ticknlo
    I am in the process of selling some dirt (125K Worth) off of a piece of land that has been in my family for some time. It is a one time deal that came around by accident. Is it earned income or can it be considered capital gains?
    It should be classified as capitalgain it is prsumed the buyer is entering into a capital tansaction and the buyer must respect there term

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NPV vs. IRR in capital purchase decision [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! In the case of an industrial construction and purchase decision, what would be the best approach? Would NPV or IRR yield the best criteria for the decision between several companies? I need to know the pros and cons of each and how they would work together. I know this is usually based...

Concerning capital gain tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have, under my name, two houses. One in Vancouver, one in Toronto. I live in Toronto and I did declare the house in Toronto as my principal residence on ON479 of my previous years of return. However, lately I found out if I would sell the one in Vancouver, I would have to pay the...

Capital gains/renting out property [ 1 Answers ]

I currently own a townhouse in MD and have lived there for the last 14 months. I would like to keep the property to rent out for the next few years and rent a home closer to my job in the meantime. (I plan on moving out of state in the next 3 years or so, so I don't want to buy another property)....

Capital gains tax [ 1 Answers ]

In Sept 1999 I sold a piece of property. I did a 1031 exchange for a new piece of property that cost 299000.00. My basis in that exchange was 29000.00. In April 2006 I sold that piece of property. After closing costs and realtor costs the net profit was $512,000.00. Improvement costs,...

View more questions Search