Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seekingscooter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 09:39 PM
    What to talk about
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if you could help me with conversations. I tend to be a more shy person and when I do try to talk to people I don't know what to talk about and then I feel awkward. Im sick of being the "quiet" girl that no one knows. Please help if you can. By the way, I'm in high school so I can't talk about the weather or job opportunities.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
    How about you talk about Britney Spears or some other celebrity? (can you tell I don't really keep up with the latest Hollywood crap).

What are your interests? Talk about them. Music, clothes, games?

Although if they don't share your same interests, then that can be hard. Try enjoying baseball and having most of your friends not even care if the game existed…not fun.

Try to talk with your friends about things that interest you. What interests you?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for asking a question here, and Welcome to the site.
    You can have more friends in a month by listening to them, than you can have in a year by them listening to you. (Dale Carnegie quote).
    Ask them questions about themselves. Start talking about them, listening to them. When they are comfortable with talking about themselves, they will start asking you about yourself.
    "How are you doing in English class"? "What do you think about school being out for xxxx holiday"?
    I am sure you can think of some questions to ask others.
    You also know more about yourself than anyone else! When they start asking questions about you, then tell them some things. I like...
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 25, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Welcome to the forum dear. Give it a few hours, and there will be some cool young fellas online who can give you some advice.

Once they've had their chance, I'll check and see if you need more help - but I'm confident you'll get all the assistance you need.

wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Feb 27, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Hey I'm also in high school and I am going to try and help you out with your conversational skills. First, I would recommend that you join a club, a sport, get a job maybe, just something that makes you work with people and that in itself will initiate conversation. I know at my school I had a friend who wasn't popular so I told him to go out for the football team and what would you know, everybody loves him, extracurricular activities gives people the chance to know other people and then your real personality can shine through. I imagine you feel left out everyday and that you feel like no one notices you well, there are always ways to break this, however you have to initiate it. You have to say today I am going to change my life and do it, you have to take action because no one is going to walk up to you and just start being your best friend. I think your best option is that you focus on what your interested in soccer, music, art, school and you can gravitate towards people that share these interests. Then these people slowly start to know you and respond to you and then they can become your friends. I can help you more if you post some of your interests and than maybe I can offer some activities you might want to join? And if activities aren't your thing I can still help, just better define your situation for me. Thank you.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Sorry, I didn't read the other posts first but I just have one thing to say about this question.

You don't have to have something to say or talk about. AND you don't have to be the quiet, shy girl either.

Just be interestED and interestING. How? Ask questions! That's it! Trust me on this. Ask questions... not just run of the mill question "What about this weather?" Or "How about them Kings?" Inquire about the people themselves. When you hear an interesting fact, inquire more.

Once you get used to talking and asking questions, start asking odder questions. Not REAL odd, stay on topic but ask the kind of question that isn't expected. Make them have to think a little.. Intrigue them... most of all don't worry and have fun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get my son to talk to me [ 25 Answers ]

Hi I am new here. I have a nineteen year old son. Just over a year ago his father and I broke up. I left him. My son and I were still seeing each other and talking but he was very angry and treated me badly most of the time but I kept trying . His dad and I both live with other people. My...

Sex talk [ 3 Answers ]

I need someone's help, my boy friend wants me to call his cell phone and leave him a very dirty detailed message about what I would like to do to him sexually. He really likes the sexy, dirty talk. He is a truck driver and is not home much. The only problem is I can't think of anything dirty and...

Why would she talk to me now? [ 5 Answers ]

I had the best relationship of my life with this one girl. Six months have gone by and my Ex-girlfriend of two years just contacted me through an online gaming service Xbox Live(exactly like an instant messenger). She said, "Nothing's changed. I have been thinking about you lately and was...

Talk to me! [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my puppy to tell he that he needs to go potty? My scotti is 5 months old now and is pretty good about going potty outside but I think it is me that is trained, not him! I am the one trained on a schedule of taking him out. He'll just go in the house never indicating that he has to go...

View more questions Search