Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stormdog Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 01:09 AM
    MAC filtering on routers
    A quicky for someone. Is MAC filtering safe security for a wifi network?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 15, 2008, 01:15 AM
    It can be used as PART of the whole security setup on any router, not to be relied upon as the only security measure.

For WiFi you should also include WPA encryption and hidden SSID.

This covers the basics: Wireless Security - WiFi Wireless Home Network Security Tips

The easiest and simplest to do is to encrypt your wireless traffic with WEP

Here's a indepth list of things to do: Securing your Wireless Network
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

May 20, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Quick answer - yes. P2E
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 20, 2008, 04:01 PM
    There are a few ways you can use MAC filtering. If you want to NOT allow some computers on your network access to the Internet, you can disallow these addresses. Or, you can specify what MAC addresses are allowed to have Internet access. This will stop "Guest" access.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless routers [ 1 Answers ]

My friends partner has bought her a wireless router for her for her home,he set it up through his laptop, when he is not there she can not get online without him being there with his laptop,(he does not live there), he has also put a password in without telling her what it is, how can she get round...

Cites on filtering [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is David. Does anyone know any cites on filtration of water. Also does anyone know any scientists who have researched on water filtration?

RainSoft WholeHouse Filtering System Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a rainsoft water system for the whole house connected to our well. It worked fine when I first moved in 4 months ago, but now I have a high concentration of iron in the water. I have been putting salt in it regularly but never added RedOut salt because I didn't realize there was a lot of...

Filtering well water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well; usually the water is quite good, but when we have flooding, the well can get contaminated with e coli. It's been a wet winter and spring; I've chlorinated the well a couple of times, and am thinking about installing a filter. It's very costly to hire a service to do this so I'd...

Question from a newbie regarding filtering freeware [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Could someone help me with some advice regarding good URL filtering freeware? Thanks very much, Ura

View more questions Search