Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sally20 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Potty training
    My daughter is 3 and I can't seem to get her to go to the restroom she understands what you do in the restroom and all of that but we can't get her to tell us so that she can sit in her potty chair what can I do to get her ready so that she can go to school :confused: :confused: :confused:
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Every child moves at their own pace. The only thing you can really do is continue to be supportive, don't push, encourage and praise, praise, praise whenever she does anything! You can read books about potty and show her how "grown up" it is, play games while on the potty, make it fun and I've heard using baby dolls to help represent what to do can help. But really just let her guide you at her own pace with your encouragement. Maybe, if you are using a "potty chair" you can try getting a seat for the actually potty and see if she is willing to use that. Good luck!
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 14, 2008, 09:57 PM
    The thing that worked great for me was stickers & Heroes. First go out and buy cute underwear, treat them like a reward. I went to the dollar store and bought $5 worth of stickers. At first it was like a party every time she went pee. After a while she was hooked on filling up her page with stickers. It took about two weeks, and we have only had one accident since. (About a year)
    I also know another way that works really well, and this is Dr Phil approved.
    "The hero call." If Kayla did a #2 on the potty she got two stickers and she made a call to Ernie & Bert, Zoey. It would usually be me at work or just using the cell phone to the land line pretending I'm one of her heroes. I'm telling you, its fun and it works! I also have a great couple of scrapbook pages to boot.
    At night time it is more difficult, I hang around my office till pretty late and usually go into her room at about 12:30am, I get her up and make her walk to the washroom I help her with her night time panties (New word for diaper) and she always goes pee. It has never failed, unless I forget. LOL, lately she calls out for me that she needs to go to the bathroom. I'm proud to say that diaper costs are almost completely out of our yearly budget. And now I can buy a luxury cruise ship and a on board helicopter. JK
    pmoals Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 04:10 AM
    Like Greg Quinn said, STICKERS!! It worked like a charm on my son, every time she went pee pee in the potty we made a big fuss about it, and he got to pick a sticker, and put it on the back of the toilet lid. ( it's still covered with stickers) another thing we had to do is if he had anything on his bottom, he would pee in it, he ran around half naked for month cause if he didn't have anything on down there I guess he was more aware and went to the potty. Hey we had a naked kid running around all the time but it worked.
    tjoquinn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 11:24 PM
    My daughter is only 8 months old and goes #1 and #2 in the toilet for three months now. I don't look at it as "toilet training", but introducing the toilet. She just took to it right away so I try to put her on often throughout the day and end it with a lot of praise (even times she doesn't go).

However, I have done a lot of potty training for verbal and non-verbal autistic children and my suggestion that worked for me is... yes lots of stickers,, but I made a picture social story that was read repeatedly on and off the toilet... and yes you can use "pic symbols", but I find real pictures more effective. Make sure your child is included in the pictures somehow.
    I actually made a story to the song "london bridges"... that I sang... a little corny but the kids love it! And it worked! Depending on the age they can help you make it.
    Picture schedules work well too... ended with some sort of positive reinforcement... be it tangible items or praise. Good luck!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Make sure she sees you go. Shell get the idea real quick
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 09:29 AM
    What worked for my daughter - who we trained in the warmer weather, was we got a longer skirt, just something with an elastic waist band. We took diapers/pull-ups out of the equation during the day. She basically went "commando" for a little while - she wouldn't just pee or poop on herself - she would go to the bathroom.

Now, if we were going out - obviously, she would have something on underneath. But when we were home, she would just play in that. And no one could tell she didn't have on underwear, but she knew.

We also had "potty" books. Every time she would go into the bathroom, she picked out a book for me to read while she did her business. She enjoyed it. When she was finished, lots of praise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty training [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's one for the experienced moms in here. My son turned 3 in August and he is still not potty trained. I think I am at my wits end. He does go when he's at school with the other children. He never has accidents there but at home its like a train wreck. I have tried punishment I have tried...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

My son is going to be 3 in November and I'm spending too much money on diapers and want to get him potty trained. What is the easy way to do it? Any tips?

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

View more questions Search